Danske Bank Premiership round-up: Wins for Linfield and Glentoran

Linfield's Christy Manzinga skips past Coleriane's Stephen O'Donnell during Saturday's game at Ballycastle Road Picture by Desmond Loughery/Pacemaker
Padraig O Meiscill

Danske Bank Premiership

Coleraine 1 Linfield 2

A CONTROVERSIAL second-half goal gave defending champions Linfield victory at Ballycastle Road.

Coleraine took the lead after 24 minutes when Rodney Brown made a great near-post run before guiding home a header from a Conor McKendry corner. But Linfield drew level seven minutes before half-time when Christy Manzinga was quickest to a rebound after a Kirk Millar shot from 20 yards out came back off the crossbar.

Stephen Fallon struck an excellent 25-yard winner into the bottom corner for the Blues shortly after the restart, although the hosts were aggrieved that the ball appeared to strike referee Tim Marshall before falling to Fallon.

Glenavon 1 Crusaders 0

A LATE Matthew Fitzpatrick goal gave Glenavon all three points against 10-man Crusaders at Mourneview Park.

The home side had the ball in the net after 20 minutes, but Andy Waterworth's near-post finish from Peter Campbell's cross was ruled out for offside. Moments after Robbie Weir was dismissed for a second yellow card offence, Declan Caddell poked into the Glenavon net only for it also to be judged offside.

Paul Heatley also hit the bar for the Crues before Fitzpatrick sealed the points for the Lurgan Blues.

Glentoran 3 Portadown 1

DESPITE Portadown taking the lead at the Oval, Glentoran ultimately overpowered the visitors.

The Ports went in front when Michael Ruddy's 30-yard effort flew beyond Ross Glendinning. Jay Donnelly equalised on 42 minutes and the league’s top scorer grabbed his second on 62 minutes when he robbed Paul Finnegan of possession on the touchline before beating Jethren Barr from a tight angle.

Conor McMenamin rounded off the scoring when the converted from close range with less than 10 minutes left.

Larne 3 Warrenpoint Town 0

LARNE opened the scoring at Inver Park when Albert Watson headed home a Ben Doherty corner on 47 minutes before David McDaid added a second when he tucked home seven minutes later.

Ronan Hale made it three with 20 minutes to play when he converted following a fine team move.

Carrick Rangers 1 Dungannon Swifts 2

DUNGANNON went in front on 21 minutes when central defender Cahal McGinty arrived at the back post with a downward header to convert Ryan Mayse's corner and they doubled their lead four minutes after the restart when a low Mayse cross was bundled home from a yard out by Darragh McBrien.

A late David Cushley penalty conversion was too little too late for the home side.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access