Derry fall as two-goal drama deep in injury time sees Bohemians triumph

Derry City's Walter Figueira (left)

TWO sucker-punch goals in stoppage time meant Derry City suffered an undeserved loss at  Bohemians.

Title-chasing Bohs were disappointing throughout but a controversial penalty award by referee Ben Connolly gave them a life-line on 94 minutes and Andre Wright’s close range strike a minute later, stole the points.

Derry City boss Declan Devine will be bitterly disappointed with the loss, but will take positives with his side’s overall performance, which in truth should have seen them win the game.

Walter Figueira, Adam Hammill and Jack Malone return to the City starting 11. Ibrahim Meite and Ciaron Harkin drop to the bench, while winger Stephen Mallon missed out completely.

City got off to the perfect start on two minutes when they took the lead thanks to a super through ball by Figueira.

The Londoner nipped in to win possession from Keith Buckley, before his inch-perfect pass found James Akintunde, who calmly clipped the ball over the out-rushing Bohs keeper James Talbot and into the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Soon after more good play by Akintunde down the left ended with his low cross finding Hammill inside the six-yard box, but the ex-Wolves man’s control let him down and the relieved Talbot grabbed the loose ball.

On 27 minutes some superb skill by Bohs youngster Dawson Devoy, saw him get away from Conor McCormack and Jake Dunwoody, but his curling effort from 20 yards flew just past Peter Cherrie’s left hand post.

Right on the stroke of half-time good direct play by Akintunde, saw the Derry striker cut in from the right before seeing his left-footed strike flash just past Talbot’s bottom right hand corner.

Derry would have added a second on 49 minutes as some terrific link-up play involving Figueira and Akintunde, ended with the former Waterford man’s strike, which had Talbot beaten, cleared off the line by Anto Breslin.

Figueira continued to cause Bohs problems and his left-wing centre just before the hour mark found Akintunde, but his glancing header was easily gathered by Talbot.

Bohs substitute Ross Tierney came to his side’s rescue on 75 minutes as he booted clear off the line, after Eoin Toal had out-jumped Talbot and headed Hammill’s corner goalwards.

Minutes later the home side had their first shot on target but substitute Keith Ward saw his low drive easily gathered by Cherrie.

Livewire Ward went close again to equalising against his former club, but his 20-yard free-kick whistled just wide.

Deep into stoppage time the home side were awarded a penalty after Tierney fell rather easily under Dunwoody’s challenge inside the box and after the City protests were waved away Ward fired home from 12 yards.

And incredibly there was to be even more drama as the Dubliners netted a dramatic winner as a goalmouth scramble ended with Andre Wright turning the ball home from close range.

Bohemians: Talbot, Lyons, Breslin, Casey, Cornwall, Grant (Ward 72); Levingston (Tierney 62), Wright, Buckley (Corcoran 78), Devoy, Omochere.

Derry City: Cherrie, Cole (Horgan 77), Toal, McJannet, Coll; McCormack, Dunwoody; Hamill; Malone (Harkin 77), Akintunde (Meite 87), Figueira.

Referee: Ben Connolly (Dublin).

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access