Tim Clancy's late goal gives Bray win over Derry City

Ronan Curtis was on the mark for Derry in Bray, but they lost 3-2 Picture by Margaret McLaughlin

Airtricity League Premier Division: Bray Wanderers 3 Derry City 2

FOR the second time this season, Bray Wanderers secured a hard-fought win over Derry City with defender Tim Clancy proving to be their match-winner.

City’s defending from set-pieces was shocking throughout the 90 minutes with all three Bray goals coming from crosses into the box.

Anto Flood, meanwhile, rolled back the years as he battered both City centre-backs – Conor McDermott and Aaron Barry.

Wanderers took the lead in fortunate circumstances a minute later as Lynch’s left-wing centre was deflected home by Noone, much to the surprise of the midfielder.

Harry Kenny’s side should have doubled their lead on 14 minutes as the impressive Flood held the ball up before feeding Gary McCabe, who had broken the offside trap, but Doherty saved from a tight angle.

Derry deservedly levelled things on 22 minutes in sublime fashion. Midfielder Nicky Low played a tremendous defence-splitting pass in behind Hugh Douglas to pick out Ronan Curtis and the young striker calmly slotted the ball home.

The equaliser gave City a spring in their step but, in truth, while they continued to dominate possession, they never really threatened Cherrie and it was the home side who went back in front just before the break.

Flood was brought down close to the left-hand corner flag and McCabe’s resulting free-kick was clipped to the near post where an unmarked Ryan Brennan made no mistake, heading home from close range.

Derry got off to the perfect start after the interval as they drew level for a second time as Aaron McEneff fed Boyle on the edge of the box and the striker turned and drilled the ball low into the right-hand corner.

Kenny Shiels would have thought that equaliser would have meant his side would gain the upper hand, but Flood and McCabe, on the counter-attack, continued to cause problems for the visitors.

Curtis and McEneff had efforts at goal but neither troubled Cherrie and it was the home side that grabbed the all-important fifth goal in the 81st minute.

Yet again it came from another set-piece with substitute Clancy was on hand to turn home the loose ball from six yards.

Elsewhere, with St Patrick’s and Drogheda United both losing, Finn Harps had a chance to put some daylight between themselves and some of the division’s strugglers, but a 1-0 loss at home to Shamrock Rovers denied them that opportunity.

The only goal of the game arrived just three minutes before the break as Michael O’Connor headed home a Simon Madden cross for the Dublin outfit.

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie, Douglas, Kenna, Foran (Clancy 56), Lynch (Marks 68); Noone, Salmon, Brennan (Moore 80), McCabe, Greene, Flood

Derry City: G Doherty, Monaghan (B Doherty 88), McDermott, Barry, Jarvis, McEneff, Low, Daniels (Timlin 82), McNamee, Curtis; Boyle

Referee: Robert Hennesey (Dublin)



Bray 3 Derry City 2; Cork City 4 Limerick 1; Drogheda 0 Dundalk 6; Finn Harps 0 Shamrock Rovers 1; St Pat’s 1 Bohemians 3


Sligo Rovers v Galway Utd (7.45pm)

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: