Former Hoops rock Rovers to send Derry City into FAI Cup semi-finals

Derry City Jamie McGonigle is mobbed after scoring against Shamrock Rovers during the FAI Cup quarter final match played at Brandywell on Sunday 18th September 2022. Picture Margaret McLaughlin.
Seamus Crudden

FAI Cup quarter-final: Derry City 3 Shamrock Rovers 1 (aet)

Two Shamrock Rovers old boys came back to haunt them as Derry City booked their place in the FAI Cup semi-final.

Goals in extra-time from ex-Hoops men Daniel Lafferty and Brandon Kavanagh were enough for the Candystripes to finally see off the 10 men, at a packed Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Derry made one change to their side which saw off Sligo Rovers on Tuesday night with Sadou Diallo coming in for Ryan Graydon, who dropped to the bench.

As for the Hoops they made four changes to their team which lost to Gent in Europa Conference League on Thursday night with Leon Pohls, Neil Farrugia, Sean Kavanagh and Aaron Greene all starting.

City should have taken a sixth minute lead as Will Patching's left wing cross picked out Cameron Dummigan at the back post, but after bringing the ball down, the unmarked midfielder close's range was straight at Rovers keeper Leon Pohls.

The home side deservedly took the lead on 19 minutes as Cameron McJannet's left wing cross found Mark Connolly at the back post and his teasing centre back into the six yard box found Jamie McGonigle, who rose to head home from close range.

Soon after a clever knock down by McGonigle found Dummigan and the midfielder's pile driver from 25 yards, which had Pohls beaten, rattled against the crossbar.

Derry missed a superb chance to double their lead on 38 minutes when Patrick McEleney was brought down inside the box by Lee Grace, referee Rob Hennessy pointed to the post, before red carding the Rovers centre-back.

Unfortunately for the second game running against the Dubliners, Patching's missed from the spot, this time his effort rattled the crossbar.

A neat passing move on 48 minutes ended with Patching's clever flick finding Ronan Boyce, but the right-back's strike on the slide was saved by a diving Pohls.

Rovers' first real serious effort came on 56 minutes as Rory Gaffney got half a yard away from Shane McEleney, but his well hit drive was saved by City keeper Brian Maher.

Soon after a McJannet header down field released McGonigle, but the striker's left footed effort from a tight angle was pushed away by Rovers netminder Pohls.

Rovers equalised on 66 minutes following a neat passing move, which ended with Neil Farrugia's run and cross finding Andy Lyons, his close range strike was kept out by Maher, but Gaffney was on hand to fire home the rebound.

Pohls was called into action on 76 minutes, as Derry looked to get a foothold back into the game, the German keeper dived to his right to keep out Joe Thomson's snap-shot.

In stoppage time a Michael Duffy right wing corner found McJannet at the near post, but the defender's header failed to trouble Pohls and flashed past the post.

Right at the death City had a great chance to win it as substitute Daniel Lafferty saw his left wing cross find fellow sub Thomson, but the midfielder headed over from close range.

Derry regained the lead on 96 minutes as Duffy's left wing corner found Lafferty, who rose superbly to powerfully headed home from close range.

Rovers went close to levelling things again for a second time just before the break in extra-time as substitute Dylan Watts saw his shot on the turn saved by Maher.

Derry sealed the tie on 110 minutes following a slick passing move which saw Akintunde feed Brandon Kanavangh down the right, he cut inside past his marker before calmly firing low past Pohls.

Derry City: Maher, Boyce, Connolly, S McEleney (Lafferty 73), McJannet; Diallo (B Kavanagh 83), P McEleney, Patching (Thomson 71); Dummigan, McGonigle (Akintunde 71), Duffy (Graydon 114).

Shamrock Rovers: Pohls, Gannon, Cleary, Grace; Farrugia (Watts 97), Kavanagh, McCann (Finn 83), Byrne (Burke 87), Lyons; Greene (O'Neill 40), Gaffney (Power 87 Tetteh 105).

Referee: Rob Henessy (Dublin).