The Irish News Archive: July 30 1998: Kosice hand Reds a harsh Euro lesson

Cliftonville manager Marty Quinn and assistant manager Rory O'Boyle discuss tactics
The Irish News Archive

Champions’ League first qualifying round, second leg: FC Kosice 8 Cliftonville 0 (FC Kosice win 13-1 on aggregate)

BARE-footed Marty Quinn, sucking ferociously on a cigarette, measured up the outcome and in his dependable form, spoke the truth about what he’d just witnessed.

Before meeting Kosice in Slovakia, the Reds manager would have settled for a 3- 0 scoreline, possibly 4-0.

But it finished 8- 0. Eight harsh lessons.

Eight slaps of convincing evidence that Irish soccer has kicked itself in the hide and eroded greater European efforts of yesteryear.

Maybe 15 years ago an Irish League champion would have ventured into eastern Europe with a threat.

Today’s reality is that the Northern Ireland representatives in Europe are accepted in pre-tournament draws with a welcoming smile.

Kosice manager Jan Bodnar indicated his contempt for this fixture, resting six players from the side which won 5-1 at Solitude in the first leg.

His championship winning side has “a more important game” in the Slovakian League opener on August 1.

Cliftonville started with the same X1 which lost 5-1 at Solitude, pointing out beforehand that, “schoolboy errors aside,” the side was one he felt a great degree of confidence in. Quinn, although still confident in his troops, confirmed his embarrassment afterwards.

“I never thought we’d be coming away from here having given them eight goals. I have to admit, I am embarrassed. I’m glad this is all over,” he said.

FC Kosice: Seman, Gerich, Kozak, Sovic, Szilard, Jozef, Robert, Jambor, Kral, J Kozak, Janocko

Subs: Kamesch, Toth (for I Kozak, 45mins), Dzurik, Spilar, Zvara, Prohaszka (for Nemeth 45mins), Ljubarskij (for Sovic 58mins).

Cliftonville: Reece, Small, Flynn, Tabb, McCallion, T McCann, Collins, Tolan, M McCann, M Donnelly

Subs: Ingram, Davey (for Collins 72mins), McMahon (for Sliney 72mins), McDonagh (for M McCann 72mins).

Referee: Matjaz Zunic (Slovenia).

Attendance: 1,998.


Uefa Cup preliminary round, second leg: Linfield 5 Omonia Nicosia 3 (Omonia Nicosia win 8-6 on aggregate)

Blues shine but still bow out

A GLORIOUS night of European glory for the barn-storming Blues as two goals by Tony Gorman and thunderbolt strikes from Lee Feeney and Tommy McDonald and a diving header from Campbell fired never-say-die Linfield to an incredible Uefa Cup win.

Linfield’s all-out attacking onslaught was all the more deserving of the highest praise as the Irish League part-timers brought the house down after going 3-1 behind in only 23 minutes.

Linfield’s brave-hearts went out of the competition with all barrels blazing with Gorman the inspirational soul of the side.

A fabulous five-goals performance, Jeffrey hit the nail on the head.

“Every player was magnificent. I knew we had no chance of winning the tie, so the aim was to win tonight’s match and restore the pride of Irish League football.

“I am proud of each and every player. They performed brilliantly,” said Jeffrey.

The standing ovation at the final whistle was absolutely deserved.

Linfield: Geddis, McDonald (Marks 70), Easton, Semple (Campbell 60), Murphy, Beatty, Larmour (Cleland 80), Gorman, Ferguson, Feeney, Bailie (capt.).

Omonia Nicosia: Christofi, Kayafas, N Nicolaou, Ioakim, Panayiotou, Constantinides (Pontikos 42), Andreou (capt.), Kitanov (Kontolefteros 80), Marangos, Malekos, Rauffman (C Nicolaou 62).

Referee: Sorin Corpodean (Romania).

Attendance: 2,500.


Uefa Cup: Rangers 2 Shelbourne 0 (Rangers win 7-3 on aggregate)

Shels sunk by Finn

A BRACE of goals from Finnish striker Jonatan Johansson gave Rangers a comfortable passage into the second Uefa Cup qualifying round against Shelbourne last night.

But the expected deluge of goals failed to materialise in Dick Advocaat’s first home game in charge after the 22-year-old opened his senior account with an early strike inside four minutes. Instead, the home fans endured a frustrating night before Johansson pounced with barely a minute remaining to wrap up a 7-3 aggregate victory.


Champions’ League first qualifying round, second leg: St Patrick’s Athletic 0 Celtic 2 (Celtic win 2-0 on aggregate) Celtic safely through but fail to impress

A GOAL in each half by Harold Brattbakk and Henrik Larsson last night put a clearly edgy Celtic team through to a second qualifier with Croatia Zagreb in a fortnight’s time, but they will have to play much better than this if they hope to progress to the Champions’ League proper. After Brattbakk’s simple goal in the 12th minute, it seemed as though Celtic would go on to score at will. That it never happened, was more to do with their own failings than anything the League of Ireland champions had to offer.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: