In The Irish News on May 3 1997: Tommy Burns leaves Parkhead stage

Tommy Burns 

CELTIC Park yesterday evening resembled the Conservative Party headquarters on election night with supporters giving a show of defiance as Tommy Burns’s managerial career at the club ended.

Close on 1,000 people gathered around the main doors of the stadium with Burns’ name chanted like some conquering hero while anger was vented in the direction of managing director Fergus McCann.

But, in reality, such actions must be viewed as being borne out of blind faith rather than having any basis in a logical reading of the current situation at the Glasgow club.

The sad truth is that since Celtic lost out by a single goal to First Division Falkirk in a Scottish cup semi final replay at Ibrox a week past on Wednesday – a defeat that will rank as one of the club’s

worst ever – Burns’s departure has had an air of inevitability about it.


KEN Doherty became the first southerner to ever reach the Embassy World Championship final with a 17-7 victory over Alain Robidoux in Sheffield last night.

The 27-year-old from Dublin completed his win with a session to spare by winning the last five frames of his semi-final against the Canadian.

But Doherty must wait until tonight to discover whether his opponent will be six times champion Stephen Hendry or James Wattana.

Wattana is threatening to spike the anticipated showdown between Hendry and Doherty.


KERRY think they can go one better than last year at Tyrone’s expense in tomorrow’s All-Ireland schools vocational final.

The game has been fixed as the curtain-raiser to the National Football League final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh and after the disappointment of losing to Donegal last year, the Kingdom are determined to lift the title this time round.

They will go into the game as strong favourites, having eight of last year’s side still available to them.

Tyrone’s joint-manager, Terry McCann, said his team know very little about Kerry but were “more

than happy” to challenge for their sixth national vocationals title as underdogs.


NEWBRIDGE had the edge in the opening quarter and were good value for their early lead in last night’s Derry SF championship clash with Castledawson.

But in the end Castledawson cut swathes through a tiring ‘Bridge defence and Gribben (3) and McLarnon (2) scored points for a convincing and first ever win over Newbridge by 0-15 to 0-6.

It was when Dermot Heaney moved to midfield in the second quarter that Castledawson took control and points from Paddy Mallon (2), Adrian Heaney and Stephen McLarnon gave them a 0-7 to 0-4 interval lead.

Castledawson eased further ahead in a dull third quarter, the only bright note being a superb 45 metre point by Dermot Heaney.

Castledawson scorers: Michael Gribben (0-5), Stephen McLarnon 0-4, Paddy Mallon 0-2, Seamus Shivers 0-2, Adrian Heaney, Dermot Heaney 0-1 each.

Newbridge scorers: Gary Wall, Adrian McCann 0-2 each, Ciaran Doherty, P Rocks 0-1 each.

Ref: Anthony O’Neill (Banagher).

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access