Yeovil manager hails side's 'bouncebackability' in FA Cup

PA reporter

YEOVIL manager Darren Way praised "a fantastic performance" after his team snatched a late equaliser against a Carlisle side who twice surrendered the lead in the FA Cup third round tie at Blackpool.

Shaun Jeffers slotted home Yeovil's equaliser in the 2-2 draw in added-time and Way said: "It was a great finish.

"Carlisle slowed the game down and hit direct balls, making it difficult to play against - but I was pleased with the way the boys fought back. We showed 'bouncebackability' and we are starting to get belief. It's nice to be in the draw, but we know there is a lot of hard work to be done. I thought the lads deserved the draw and I want to create positivity about the place. So far, it's happened."

Way was wary of focusing too much on the next round, with a third round replay against the Cumbrians still to negotiate in Somerset.

He explained: "It's a case of enjoying the moment. I'm not focusing too much on who we might get - but it's good that there could be the opportunity to play against a big team."

Way was disappointed his side conceded the first goal from a set-play - Carlisle skipper Danny Grainger thumping a free-kick around the defensive wall from 20 yards.

Way said: "Too many times, we've seen a free-kick and the ball flies into the roof of the net."

Former Carlisle striker Francois Zoko headed Yeovil level for the first time after the break and Way said: "He rose well and it was something special for him against his old club."

Carlisle manager Keith Curle said after the match, played at Blackpool's Bloomfield Road because Brunton Park remains out of action after damage caused by Storm Desmond: "The players are feeling frustrated.

"The pitch made it difficult for us to play the way we wanted to play, but we took the lead twice and should have been able to see the game out. There is an air of disappointment because we knew we had done enough to win the game and yet, ultimately, we didn't.

"The Yeovil goals were pretty basic. We showed a bit of naivety but we have a replay to look forward to and we are still in the hat. Yes, we're disappointed, but it's a challenge we have to face."

Carlisle's second goal came from central defender Mark Ellis, who was celebrating signing a new two-and-a-half year contract.

Curle said: "If I was a gambling man, I would have put money on him scoring today. By the end of the season, I think he could have six or seven goals."

The 52-year-old was also keen to praise the "phenomenal support" of 3,000 travelling Carlisle fans.

He added: "The surface didn't allow us to play as they would have expected, but it was a typical cup tie." 

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access