Republic of Ireland news

Coronavirus: Republic reports 18 deaths and 219 new cases

 Business Minister Heather Humphreys during a media briefing in Government Buildings Dublin on coronavirus (Covid-19).

The Republic of Ireland’s coronavirus death toll has risen to 1,446 after a further 18 deaths were announced by the National Public Health Emergency Team.

The number of confirmed cases increased by 219. There are now 22,760 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Republic.

The median age of the 22,495 people who have contracted the virus is 49. Women make up 57 per cent of reported cases, with men the remaining 43 per cent.

Of the 2,954 people who have been hospitalised after contracting the virus, 381 were admitted into intensive care.

Healthcare workers account for 6,669 of confirmed cases.

Community transmission accounted for 61% of all cases, followed by close contact with a Covid-19 patient (35%), and travel abroad (3%).

In Northern Ireland, a further four people have died after testing positive for Covid-19.

This daily figure brings the death toll to 430.

There were 56 more positive cases diagnosed, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 4,078.

From May 7 to May 8, 1,453 lab tests were carried out on 1, 058 people.

The Republic's business Minister Heather Humphreys has said the open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic is not to blame for the high number of cases of Covid-19 in Co Cavan and Co Monaghan.

Co Cavan remains the county with the highest incidence of Covid-19, with 883.5 cases per 100,000 of population, followed by Co Dublin with an incidence of 772.3 and Co Monaghan, where the incidence is 666.3.

Ms Humphreys said: “This is a matter of concern and I have raised it at the highest level with the HSE, who I know are keeping the matter under review.

“The reason for the increase in cases was due to an incident in March at the hospital in Cavan among the workers there. A lot of the workers live in shared accommodation. That was coupled with the fact there was a fairly large outbreak in residential nursing homes. That caused some problems.

“I am absolutely satisfied there is no evidence to suggest that the virus is increased numbers there because of the border with Northern Ireland. The numbers of cases of Covid-19 have reduced somewhat since that outbreak was first reported.”

She said she is satisfied there is ongoing co-operation between the health and justice ministers in the Republic and Northern Ireland.

To date, there have been 76 confirmed outbreaks in care homes across Northern Ireland.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Republic of Ireland news