Northern Ireland

Firework believed to have caused accidental blaze at builders’ merchants in Larne

Around 50 firefighters dealt with the blaze
Around 50 firefighters dealt with the blaze

A FIREWORK is believed to have caused an accidental blaze at a builders’ merchants in Larne, police have said.

Extensive damage was caused to MacBlair’s, a building supplies firm on Station Road, after the fire broke out on Tuesday at around 8pm.

More than 50 firefighters dealt with the blaze, which also caused damage to the supplies housed at the site.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said the blaze was believed to have been started accidentally.

"Firefighters were called to reports of a shed fire at a commercial premises on Station Road, Larne yesterday evening at 7.58pm.

"There were over 50 NIFRS personnel involved throughout the incident. At the height of the incident there were six fire appliances, one aerial appliance, one command support unit and six officers in attendance. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, used four jets to extinguish the fire."

NIFRS said the fire was extinguished at 10.54pm.

A PSNI spokeswoman said: "Police were made aware of a fire at a building supplies yard and our colleagues from the NIFRS attended.

"Extensive damage was caused to the warehouse and the supplies housed within it. Our investigation is underway and at this time we understand that a firework may have caused the fire. We are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time the incident took place or who may have captured dashcam footage to contact us on 101."