Northern Ireland news

Boy charged in connection with alleged sectarian attack at fast-food restaurant

The case relates to an incident at a KFC outlet on Brougham Street

CRIMINAL proceedings have commenced against a 13-year-old boy in connection with an alleged sectarian attack at a fast-food restaurant in north Belfast.

He is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm to another youth on July 3 this year.

The case relates to an incident at a KFC outlet on Brougham Street in the city.

The alleged victim, also aged 13, reportedly sustained injuries to his face which required hospital treatment.

Police said it was being treated as a sectarian-motivated hate crime.

The accused, who cannot be identified, had been due to make a first appearance at Belfast Youth Court on Friday.

However, a defence lawyer confirmed he would not be attending the hearing.

"I believe (he is on) some sort of placement at the moment," she added.

District Judge George Conner was told that an investigation file and prosecution decision is due at the end of this month.

With the defendant remaining on police bail, Mr Conner adjourned the case for four weeks.

He said: "If I take it to September 9, hopefully we will have a decision."

Topics

Northern Ireland news