Northern Ireland news

Ex-Derry footballer charged over alleged assault in US that left victim at risk of losing kidney

Ciaran McFaul pictured in action with the Derry county football side against Down earlier this year. Picture by Margaret McLaughlin
Paul Ainsworth

A GAA footballer has been charged in the US over an attack that left a man with serious internal injuries.

Ciaran McFaul is charged with assault and battery, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing serious bodily injury, in relation to an incident in Boston on June 20.

The 28-year-old is accused of carrying out the assault in the West Broadway area of the city, and the case was brought before a Boston court on Wednesday.

McFaul, who joined the Derry football panel in 2012, departed the side earlier this year to play Gaelic games in the US.

The Maghera man had previously played a summer season of football with Donegal Boston GFC in Massachusetts.

McFaul's club career saw him take Maghera's Watty Graham's Glen side to two Ulster minor club wins in the early 2010s.

Last November he was part of the Watty Graham's squad that won the Derry Senior Football Championship at Derry's Celtic Park.

The following month, McFaul was on the club's line-up as they lost to Monaghan side Scotstown in the Ulster Senior Club Football Championship semi-final.

In April, Derry manager Rory Gallagher confirmed McFaul was no longer part of the county panel.

Relating to the alleged assault, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office claimed McFaul had been heavily intoxicated and was thrown out of a venue at around 2am on June 20 before confronting three men outside.

It is alleged McFaul punched one of the men three times in the face, causing him to fall to the ground, before kicking him several times in the abdomen.

The South Boston Division of Boston Municipal Court heard how McFaul, who gave a south Boston address, allegedly left the man with serious internal injuries.

The court heard the victim suffered a stage-four kidney laceration and internal bleeding, and spent two days in intensive care.

Prosecutors said the victim was now at risk of losing a kidney.

District attorney Kevin Hayden said the alleged attack "resulted in potential life-long impacts on a victim who was doing nothing more than standing on a street corner with friends".

McFaul was ordered to return to the court on September 14 for a pre-trial hearing.

Judge Pamela M. Dashiell imposed bail of $5,000 and ordered McFaul to surrender his passport.

The judge also ordered McFaul not to consume alcohol and to use a device to monitor consumption.


Northern Ireland news