Northern Ireland news

Journalist tells of shock after evacuation from Harry Styles gig in Copenhagen

Harry Styles said he was "heartbroken" and "devastated" after his concert in Copenhagen was cancelled following a fatal shooting at a nearby shopping centre. Picture by Ian West/PA Wire

A JOURNALIST from Northern Ireland has told of the moment she was evacuated from a Harry Styles gig in Copenhagen following a mass shooting nearby.

Jessica Lawrence, who works for BBC NI, said she was among the crowd inside the Royal Arena where the former One Direction star was due to perform on Sunday as part of his Love on Tour shows.

She said the gig, which had been due to begin at 8pm, was firstly delayed after it had emerged the attack had taken place.

"Everyone was kind of jovial - clapping around, singing along to the music then at around 9 o’clock the mood really kind of shifted when people realised what was going on," she told BBC Radio Ulster.

She said after around an hour, organisers told the crowd that "due to safety concerns the concert is cancelled" and they were given a police escort out of the arena.

"As we were kinda walking to the Metro station you could definitely tell from the concert goers that something really, really terrible had happened," she said.

"I think a lot of people were in shock."

Harry Styles also told of his shock at what had happened, posting on Twitter that he was "heartbroken along with the people of Copenhagen".

"I adore this city. The people are so warm and full of love," he tweeted.

"I’m devastated for the victims, their families, and everyone hurting.

"I’m sorry we couldn’t be together. Please look after each other. H."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news