Northern Ireland news

Man (53) stabbed to death at house in Bangor

Forensics officers at the scene of a murder in Beatrice Avenue in Bangor, Co Down. Picture by Mal McCann.

A 35-year-old man was still being questioned on suspicion of murder last night after a 53-year-old man was stabbed to death in Bangor early yesterday.

Police launched a murder probe after the man was attacked at a property on Beatrice Road in the Co Down town - the second fatal stabbing in Northern Ireland since Monday.

It is understood the man had been living in the property - one of several apartments in a larger house - for a couple of months.

Local reports suggested the man was married but separated from his wife.

Detective Chief Inspector Michelle Shaw said police received a report just after midnight that a man in his fifties had been attacked.

"Officers attended but sadly, the man was pronounced dead at the scene," she said.

"A murder investigation is now underway."

Ms Shaw said the murder probe was "at an early stage" and appealed to anyone with information to contact police on 101.

North Down DUP MLA Stephen Dunne expressed his shock following the stabbing.

"The news that a man has been stabbed to death in Bangor has sent real shockwaves through the local community," he said.

"This area is a quiet residential area within the town centre of Bangor and local people are understandably very alarmed at waking up to this shocking news.

"I would appeal to anyone with any information to contact the PSNI immediately on this horrific attack and my thoughts are with the victim's family."

Ulster Unionist mayor Mark Brooks said he "feels for the man's family".

"It's very sad for the whole community in Bangor, particularly at holiday time," he said.

Alliance MLA Andrew Muir said he was stunned by the killing.

"My thoughts are with his friends and family following this horrendous murder," he said.

Green Party NI councillor Stephen Dunlop said the death was shocking news.

"Beatrice Road is a very quiet part of Bangor," he said.

"A well settled blend of families, older people and young people have made their home in the area.

"My thoughts are with the family and friends of the man who has passed away in such sad and tragic circumstances."

The man's death was the second fatal stabbing in Northern Ireland since Monday.

A 53-year-old man remained in police custody last night on suspicion of the murder of Kathleen Brankin at a glamping site in Myroe, near Limavady, Co Derry.

The 37-year-old from Newtownabbey, also known as Katie, was stabbed to death at the Sea Coast Road site shortly after 8.20pm on Monday.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news