Northern Ireland news

Orange Order to hold 100 Twelfth of July parades

Thousands of people marching at a July 12 Orange Order parade
Jonathan McCambridge, Press Association

Twelfth of July parades will be held at 100 locations in Northern Ireland this year, the Orange Order has confirmed.

Last year's parades were cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic and restrictions on public gatherings.

The organisation said the parades this summer would be smaller than usual and locally based due to restrictions on numbers at gatherings.

The usual 18 main events will be replaced by more than 100 local parades.

The order said that with Covid-19 guidelines limiting events to 500 participants, organising smaller parades was the best way to ensure the demonstrations went ahead.

Grand Master Edward Stevenson said: "We have endured a difficult 18 months, having cancelled our meetings and parades, for the good of all in the community.

"Last year it was the 'Twelfth at Home' but thankfully this year, with the restrictions suitably eased, we are in a position to have district parades right across Northern Ireland.

"These smaller demonstrations will help reduce crowds, remove the need for travelling long distances to see a parade and ensure that we as an institution continue to put the safety of everyone to the fore.

"This is for one year only and we are focused on having our traditional Twelfth of July celebrations in 2022."

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland has called on everyone planning to attend a parade to respect Covid-19 guidelines.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news