Northern Ireland news

Arrests linked to New IRA attack in Dungiven and 1993 Provisional IRA murder

Catholic RUC constable, Michael Ferguson, was shot dead by a Provisional IRA gunman at Shipquay Street in Derry city centre in January 1993.
Seamus McKinney

FIVE men have been arrested in connection with investigations into the 1993 Provisional IRA murder of RUC officer Michael Ferguson and last month's New IRA attempted murder of a police officer in Co Derry.

The men, ranging in age from 23 to 62, were arrested in Derry following a series of police searches in the Creggan yesterday.

Head of the PSNI's Terrorism Investigation Unit, Richard Campbell said three of the men, aged 23,52 and 62, were arrested in connection with last month's attempted bomb attack on a part-time police officer near Dungiven.

A device linked to flammable liquid was left beside the police officer's car at her Ballyquin Road home. Six people have previously been arrested and released as part of the investigation.

Detective Superintendent Campbell said: “The 52-year-old man is also being questioned as part of Op Ledging, targeting the New IRA's bomb-making activities as well as the group's storage of explosive devices and equipment.”

Meanwhile two men, aged 48 and 59, are being questioned about the Provisional IRA shooting of Catholic RUC officer Michael Ferguson.

The 21-year-old died after he was shot in the head at point blank range by a lone gunman at Shipquay Street in Derry on January 23 1993.

Detective Superintendent Campbell said: “The 62-year-old man will also be questioned by the Legacy Investigation Branch detectives as part of the ongoing investigation into Michael's murder.

“The 59 and 62-year-old men will also be questioned by detectives from Kenova in connection with other historical matters."

A 64-year-old man arrested on Monday in connection with Mr Ferguson's murder was released later the same day following questioning.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news