Northern Ireland news

Fire at Ballymoney tyre centre 'started accidentally'

The cause of a fire at Ballymoney Tyre Centre was believed to accidental. Picture from Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service
Marie Louise McConville

A fire which caused serious damage to a tyre centre in Co Antrim is believed to have started accidentally, the fire service has said.

Firefighters were called to Ballymoney Tyre Centre at Rodden Foot in Ballymoney at around 10.15am.

Six jets were used over three hours by crews from Ballymoney, Coleraine and Kilrea to get the blaze under control.

Large plumes of thick, black smoke could be seen spreading over the area, with residents asked to close their windows and doors.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news