Inga Maria Hauser: Application to re-open inquest into death of murder victim
LAWYERS acting for the family of murder victim Inga Maria Hauser are to apply for the re-opening of an inquest into her death.
The 18-year-old German backpacker went missing after she arrived in Larne on a ferry from Scotland on April 6 1988 - 33 years ago today.
Her body was found two weeks later in a remote part of Ballypatrick Forest, near Ballycastle, Co Antrim.
No one was convicted of her killing.
Police submitted a file on two individuals to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS).
However, the PPS announced last year that the two people will not be charged over the murder.
Ms Hauser's sister Friederike Leibl said yesterday: "I hope we get the murderer some day".
"They should not be free any more. One day we will get evidence I hope."
Solicitor Claire McKeegan, of Phoenix Law, who is acting on behalf of the Hauser family, said she will apply for the re-opening of an inquest into the teenager's death.
"The Hauser family has suffered the most cruel torment over the last 30 years," she said.
"She was a much-loved, talented young woman.
"In the last year the family have suffered the further blow that the PPS have given a decision not to prosecute (the two people).
"However, this also marks an opportunity for the Hauser family who have now sought an inquest which will represent the first opportunity for evidence in this case to be heard and interrogated before a court."
Ms McKeegan said an application will be made to the coroner's office.
"The coroner's court has a duty to investigate any suspicious death in Northern Ireland," she said.
An application will be made this week however it is likely to be several years before an inquest can be held.
Ms Hauser's mother and father died in 2019 and 2006 respectively, without knowing who killed their daughter.
A memorial stone has been placed in Ballypatrick forest close to where the teenager's body was found.