Northern Ireland news

Phone 'vital' to Noah Donohoe investigation has been handed to police

Noah Donohoe (14) was found dead in a storm drain in north Belfast in June. Picture from Family Handout/Press Association

A PHONE which Noah Donohoe's family described as "vital" to the investigation into the teenager's death has been handed into police.

The handset was given to police on Friday.

It is understood the phone holds a photo of a person who allegedly attacked Noah before his death. The photo was taken on the day of the teenager's disappearance.

It is thought that officers investigating the 14-year-old's death in June 2020 are still examining the phone.

READ MORE: Noah Donohoe's aunt says photo is 'vital' to investigation

Last week, Noah's family made a renewed appeal for the phone to be handed over.

Noah's aunt Niamh Donohoe wrote that the handset "is as important as the picture to corroborate the time and date it was taken".

She added: "Please understand the info you have is vital to us getting answers or not".

Solicitor Niall Murphy, representing Noah's mother Fiona, has already told a pre-inquest hearing that police have received statements that the teenager was assaulted as he cycled through Belfast city centre.

It is believed the statements suggest Noah was assaulted by a homeless person some time before he entered a storm drain in the Premier Drive/Northwood Road area of north Belfast on June 21.

The body of the teenager was recovered from the drain, close to the M2 motorway, on June 27, six days after he went missing in Belfast.

Police have previously confirmed that an investigation has been launched regarding access to the storm drain where the south Belfast teenager was found.

A post-mortem examination found that the teenager died as a result of drowning.

The full inquest is scheduled to begin in January next year.

A PSNI spokesman said yesterday: "The disappearance and death of Noah Donohoe remains a Coronial investigation, as such, any enquiries regarding that investigation should be directed to the Coroner’s office".

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news