Northern Ireland news

Delays to committal proceedings of man charged with Lyra McKee murder

Paul McIntyre arrives at Londonderry Magistrates' Court in February. Picture by Brian Lawless/PA Wire

COMMITTAL proceedings against a man charged with the murder of Lyra McKee and another for rioting and disturbances on the night she was shot dead, will not proceed on September 1.

Paul McIntyre (52), of Kinnego Park, is charged with the murder of Ms McKee, possessing a firearm with intent, and belonging to a proscribed organisation.

He is further charged, along with Christopher Gillen (39) of Balbane Pass, with throwing and possessing petrol bombs, hijacking, arson and rioting on April 18, last year.

Both men also face hijacking, arson and rioting charges.

The court had initially pencilled in a possible date of September 1 for the committal hearing to go ahead. Both men deny the charges against them.

Ms McKee (29) was observing rioting in Derry's Creggan estate when she was shot on 18 April 18 2019.

District Judge Ted Magill told Derry Magistrates' Court today that he had previously raised the issues of the difficulties in holding the committal.

Mr Magill said he did not believe it was 'doable' and asked for submissions from the legal teams.

Defence barrister for McIntyre Eoghan Devlin said it was clear there was "no possibility the committal will proceed in September".

He said that the court could hold a hearing on September 1 to deal with the disclosure issues in the case which were significant.

A prosecution barrister said that it was clear the case "cannot proceed in the current circumstances."

He added that steps could be taken for a two-day hearing to deal with the disclosure issues requested by the defence.

Judge Magill said he had raised the issues of the difficulties in holding the committal hoping that some of the counsel could come up with an answer.

He said that while the courts were being "phased back in" a hearing on disclosure would still present problems with finding a court room big enough.

The case was adjourned until September 1 to deal with the disclosure issues.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news