Committal proceedings in Lyra McKee cases put back
COMMITTAL proceedings against the man charged with the murder of Lyra McKee and another man charged with the rioting on the night she was shot dead, will not go ahead next week as planned.
Paul McIntyre (52) of Kinnego Park, in Derry is charged with the murder of Lyra McKee, possessing a firearm with intent and belonging to a prescribed organisation.
He is further charged, along with 39-year-old Christopher Gillen, of Balbane Pass, Derry with throwing and possessing petrol bombs, hijacking, arson and rioting on April 18, last year.
A committal hearing had been scheduled to go ahead on June 15 but yesterday defence barrister for McIntyre, Mark Mulholland QC, said this was not going to be possible.
He told the court that the defence had been seeking a judicial review of a decision by the Prison Service not to facilitate a videolink for McIntyre from Roe House where he is currently being held due to having to go into quarantine if he leaves that facility.
Mr Mulholland said that at a leave hearing for that judicial review Mr Justice McAlinden had ruled that the issue was that the determination was a matter for the Magistrates Court.
He said he had sought clarification from the prison service and was still waiting for this.
The barrister told the court that added to this they had been given more than 1,000 pages of statements and evidence as well as more than nine hours of video evidence all of which had to be considered by the defence.
Mr Mulholland said he was also mindful of the recent advice of the Lord Chief Justice that only emergency business should be carried out.
The barrister said they would not be in a position to proceed on June 15.
Judge Magill said, while he was reluctant to take the case out of the list for next Monday, he had no choice.
The case was adjourned until June 25.