Northern Ireland news

Man described by police as 'integral part' of ATM theft gang is remanded in custody

In one theft a double cash machine was ripped from the wall of a Tesco Extra in Antrim. Picture by Justin Kernoghan/Photopress

A MAN described in court as an "integral part" of a gang behind a series of ATM thefts has been remanded in custody.

Gary John Kincaid (32), a lorry driver, with an address given as Flush Road on the outskirts of Belfast, appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday charged with conspiracy to steal ATMs.

The police officer said that as well as money being stolen there had been an "impact on businesses and an impact on the local community".

The police officer made reference to "ten" ATM thefts and opposed a bail application.

The charge faced by the defendant, who appeared in the dock in handcuffs, is that between October 27 last year and December 6 this year, he 'conspired with another to steal ATMs, cash and other items to the value of unknown or thereabouts belonging to banks and other businesses'.

On December 6 two ATMS were stolen from a Tesco supermarket close to the police station in Antrim town.

The PSNI officer believed she could connect the defendant to the charge.

The detective told the court police had investigated mobile phone data.

She said police believe the defendant is an "integral part" of a gang involved in the theft of ATMs.

The officer said the investigation "is very much ongoing".

A defence lawyer said the defendant had attended voluntarily with police after officers tried to make contact with him.

The lawyer said his client could be released on bail with conditions. He said the defendant - a father-of-six - lives with his grandmother and also spends time with his partner.

The legal representative said the defendant's partner was willing to put up a bail surety and was willing "to report him" should he breach bail.

District Judge Nigel Broderick said he understood the defendant "denies involvement in the offences".

But he said the charges were "serious" and said there were phone reports and DNA evidence connecting the defendant to a vehicle.

The judge refused bail and the defendant was remanded in custody to appear back at Ballymena Magistrates Court via video link on January 9.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news