UVF say there will be 'no protection' for killers of Ian Ogle
THE killers of leading loyalist Ian Ogle will not get the 'protection' of the east Belfast UVF, a senior loyalist said last night.
The 45-year-old was stabbed to death in the street close to his Cluan Place home on Sunday night.
At least five men were thought to be involved in the brutal and prolonged attack on Mr Ogle, who was well known in the area.
Two men, aged 31 and 45, who were arrested on Monday night, have been released on bail pending further enquiries. Two women, aged 35 and 36, remain in custody.
He had previously been a member of the Ulster People's Forum, a group set up during the loyalist flag protests, and had been involved in negotiations around a controversial Cluan Place bonfire.
A relative of Mr Ogle posted online that he was a "true volunteer, murdered by his own".
A senior loyalist told The Irish News that while some of those involved "may try to seek the protection of the UVF", it did not "sanction" or condone the killing and "no protection" would be offered to them.
There was a heavy police presence in east Belfast last night with parts of Cluan Place, Albertbridge Road and Templemore Avenue closed off amid follow-up searches.
Police were also examining interface security camera footage in the hope it captured images of the gang responsible.
DUP councillor George Dorrian, who knew the victim, said he had been told the man was beaten by a group of people in a "barbaric attack".
Ulster Unionist councillor Sonia Copeland, who also knew the murdered man, called for anyone with information to come forward to help police "take these dangerous individuals off the streets before another innocent family is put through this type of dreadful ordeal".