ITV apologises for offence caused by timing of Paras film
ITV has apologised for any offence caused by broadcasting a television documentary about the Parachute Regiment in the days leading up to the Bloody Sunday anniversary.
“The Paras: Men of War”, a three-part series, follows the fortunes of a number of men as they go through the recruitment process for the Parachute regiment. The final episode goes out on Thursday just before next weekend's Bloody Sunday commemoration events.
SDLP assembly member, Mark H Durkan said he was disgusted and dumbfounded by the timing of the documentary which he said “glorified” the regiment so close to next week's anniversary.
A spokeswoman for ITV said: “The series is entirely contemporary, following young men going through the recruitment course now, charting their progress during the training and beyond. This series does not examine historical events and makes no mention of Bloody Sunday or other events in Northern Ireland. If any viewers were offended by the timing of the series, we apologise.”
There has also been criticism of the erection of Parachute regiment flags in Derry in the last week. Sinn Féin councillor, Christopher Jackson said the flags – erected in Newbuildings - were disrespectful and intended to hurt the relatives of those killed on Bloody Sunday.