Northern Ireland news

Case of IRA man shot dead by RUC referred to PPS

Solicitor Gavin Booth said there are concerns over the RUC killing of IRA man Colum Marks man in Downpatrick in 1991
Connla Young

ATTORNEY General John Larkin has asked the Public Prosecution Service to review a decision not to prosecute any RUC officers following the shooting of an IRA man 25 years ago.

Colum Marks was killed during an attempted mortar attack on Downpatrick RUC station on April 10 1991.

The 29-year-old was unarmed at the time.

Originally from Newry, the IRA man was shot three times on open ground by an undercover RUC member.

He was taken to hospital but died while undergoing emergency surgery.

A second man escaped.

A primed mortar bomb, which had been triggered but the command wire malfunctioned, was found close by.

A spokeswoman for Mr Larkin refused to comment when contacted on Tuesday night.

It is understood the PPS has yet to consider the request.

Solicitor Gavin Booth, who represents the Marks family, said Mr Larkin’s request only considers one aspect of the case.

He said there are serious concerns about the failure to arrest the Newry-born republican and what happened to evidence after his death.

“It is felt that in this case there are circumstances that have arisen that cannot be addressed in a possible criminal trial alone and that may require wider examination,” he said.

The solicitor added that the family is currently engaged in a legal challenge against the Police Ombudsman over its failure to investigate the case.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news