Northern Ireland

Progress expected in ‘coming months’ in Kieran Doherty inquest

The Real IRA claimed responsibility for the shooting

Kieran Doherty was murdered in Derry in 2010
Kieran Doherty was murdered in Derry in 2010

A coroner in the case of a Derry man shot dead by the then Real IRA in 2010 has said “there is progress to be made in the coming months”.

Kieran Doherty (31) of Coshowen in Derry was found shot dead on the Braehead Road on February 24 2010.

At the time the Real IRA claimed responsibility for the shooting and made allegations against Mr Doherty who they said was one of their members.

At Monday’s preliminary hearing, counsel for the coroner said there had been a “useful update” from the state solicitor’s office in Dublin.

Ian Skelt KC for the coroner said the one issue that had been taking up time in this inquest was the question of what information held by gardai.

He told the hearing that the authorities in Dublin had said this work was now nearing completion and a reply was expected “within the forthcoming few weeks”.

Mr Skelt said that without this information it was ‘difficult’ to move the inquest forward.

Coroner Brian Sherrard said that this was a welcome development and very positive outcome.

He said that noone had any indication of the extent if this information or when they would receive it but proposed that the next hearing should be held in September to assess progress.

This was agreed to by all the parties.

The next hearing will take place on September 11.