Hand sanitiser used in schools recalled over health concerns
A hand sanitiser used widely in schools in the Republic has been recalled.
The Department of Agriculture said ViraPro Hand Sanitiser was removed due to possible public health concerns.
Prolonged use, the department said, may cause dermatitis, eye irritation, upper respiratory system irritation and headaches.
It said additional funding would be provided to schools to buy supplies from an alternative supplier.
It is unknown exactly how many schools use the hand sanitiser.
All schools have been asked to check their stock and remove it immediately.
Those affected have been instructed to maximise the use of hand washing instead.
Schools were told they could also close early on Friday or shut entirely for the day, if they felt it was necessary.
The department said some of the ViraPro product contained methanol rather than ethanol.
"Tests by the department show that some of the sanitiser on sale does not comply with regulations governing the content and efficacy of such products," it said.
"Members of the public are advised to stop using this sanitiser with immediate effect. A department investigation into this matter is ongoing."
The HSE said it was formally notified about the issue by the department on Thursday.
“The HSE has moved immediately to deal with this matter," it said.
"A product recall throughout the health service has been issued. A dedicated recall team has been established to coordinate the collection of product currently in the healthcare system."