Workplace fatalities across the north fall by 48 per cent, latest figures show
THE NUMBER of workplace deaths in Northern Ireland has fallen sharply in the last year, figures show.
Statistics from the Health and Safety Executive's (HSENI) latest annual report show that, in the year to March 31 this year, workplace fatalities have fallen by 48 per cent compared to the previous year.
This year a total of 12 people were the victims of workplace fatalities, whereas in 2014-15, 23 lost their lives in the workplace.
Farm related fatalities were down for the year, from 9 to 6, as were deaths in the construction industry, down from five to two.
However, not all figures were positive. While workplaces deaths have fallen, the number of major injuries sustained in the workplace was up 10 per cent from the previous year.
HSENI’s chief executive Keith Morrision recognised this negative aspect of the report.
"While it is encouraging that there has been a decrease in the number of workplace fatalities, the overall number of serious incidents remains too high," he said.
"We will continue to focus on those activities and work areas where the most serious injuries are known to occur."
HSENI chairman George Lucas also welcomed the overall all drop in fatalities, although he warned against losing focus on the task at hand.
"The level of major incidents shows there is no room for complacency," he said.
"All employers and employees must realise that workplace accidents are preventable and they must make health and safety a priority within their businesses."