Up to 70 could be prosecuted over un-notified republican parade in Lurgan
THERE could be as many as 70 people prosecuted for taking part in an illegal republican parade, a judge has heard.
At Craigavon Magistrates Court, a prosecuting lawyer told District Judge Bernie Kelly "there are upwards of 70 files that have been received or are due to be received into the department relating to this matter."
The revelation came after the case against two men from the Republic was mentioned.
Kevin Kavanagh (67) from Carleys Bridge in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford and Seamus Raymond Byrne (51), The Orchard, Ardee, Co Louth are both charged with taking part in an un-notified public procession on May 28 this year.
The men were amongst several people arrested following a parade organised by Republican Sinn Féin in Lurgan's Kilwilkie estate and the official opening of a memorial garden to mark the Easter Rising in 1916.
Police also cautioned a 10 year-old child, thought to be the youngest person ever cautioned in relation to a parade in the north.
While Kavanagh appeared in court Byrne had been excused from attending.
The Public Prosecution Service lawyer told Judge Kelly given the amount of files "a decision will have to be taken" on whether the defendants and potential defendants are processed "centrally in Belfast or in the regions."
He added however that a section ought to have been taken by the time the cases are next before the court.
Releasing Kavanagh on continuing bail and ordering that Byrne attends court for the next hearing, Judge Kelly adjourned the case to 31 August 31,