Norman Truesdale murder among those to be investigated

Norman Truesdale, who was shot dead by the IRA in 1993

A CATALOGUE of violence carried out by an IRA unit based in Ardoyne, lead by a man alleged to be the informer named as 'AA' on classified documents stolen from police headquarters at Castlereagh, may all now be investigated as part of an ombudsman's probe.

Among those murdered by the north Belfast IRA under the command of a man now alleged to be a leading informer was shop owner Norman Truesdale.

The 39-year-old was shot dead in his corner shop in the Oldpark area of north Belfast in March 1993. the IRA claimed at the time that he was a member of the UDA and had been involved in a sectarian attack on a bookmakers shop in which three people were killed, an allegation denied by his family.

However, a UDA mural in his memory was later painted in Manor Street in the Oldpark area.

Two masked men shot the father-of-four, the first fired at him with a handgun before a second man armed with an AK47shot him as he lay on the ground.

The gun attack was caught on a security camera in the shop.

Within hours of the killing three republicans were arrested, one man Thomas McWilliams was convicted of the killing.

He was released from prison in 2000 under the Good Friday Agreement but had his licence revoked in 2013 after being convicted of dissident republican activity relating to disturbances in Ardoyne over the twelfth of July.

The 49-year-old pleaded guilty to possessing the gun with intent to endanger life on July 13, 2012, was sentenced to serve six years in custody with a further six years on licence.

Information was passed to the intelligence services about the Truesdale murder.

The information 'AA' supplied to his handlers in relation to the Truesdale killing is believed to be logged on documents stolen from Castlereagh.

The murder of two brothers at a house in north Belfast was also planned by the IRA leader now believed to be the agent known as AA

The murder of two Protestant brothers, Kenneth (28) and Stephen Lynn (30) shot dead by the IRA as they worked on a house on the upper Crumlin Road was ordered by the IRA commander known as AA and named throughout the stolen Castlereagh files.

The two were renovating a bungalow that had previously belonged to a senior UVF man, a third brother in the house at the time survived the shooting.

The double murder took place in November 1991, shortly after the IRA commander was thought to have been 'turned' by special branch.

The AK 47 used to murder the brothers was the same one used to kill Stephen Waller (23), an of-duty RIR private he had just returned from a tour of duty in Cyprus when two gunmen entered his Old Westland Road home and shot him dead in front of his wife.

The getaway car was hijacked in Ardoyne earlier that day.

The Ombudsman is expected to investigate if these or any of the other murders carried out between 1991 and 2001 could have been prevented, or if investigatory leads were overlooked in the follow up police investigations into the killings.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access