Sydney man finds snake in lettuce bought at supermarket

‘I definitely kind of panicked a bit,' Sydney resident Alex White said.

A shopper thought he was watching a huge worm writhing in a plastic-wrapped lettuce he had just brought home from a supermarket in Australia – until a snake tongue flicked.

“I kind of completely freaked out when I saw this little tongue come out of its mouth and start flicking around and realised it was a snake because worms don’t have tongues,” Alex White said on Thursday.

“I definitely kind of panicked a bit,” he added.

It was a venomous paled-headed snake that authorities say made a 540-mile journey to Sydney from a Toowoomba packing plant wrapped in plastic with a pair of cos lettuces.

The refrigerated supermarket supply chain likely lulled the cold-blooded juvenile into a stupor until Mr White bought the lettuces at an inner-city Aldi supermarket on Monday evening and rode his bicycle home with salad and snake in his backpack.

Mr White and his partner Amelia Neate spotted the snake moving as soon as the lettuces were unpacked on to the kitchen table.

They also noticed the plastic wrapping was torn and that the snake could escape, so they quickly stuffed the reptile with the lettuces into a plastic food storage container.

White phoned the WIRES rescue organisation and a snake handler took the snake away that night.

Before the handler arrived, Mr White said WIRES had explained to him: “If you get bitten, you’ve got to go to hospital really quickly.”

Aldi is investigating how a snake could have found its way into a supermarket.

“We’ve worked with the customer and the team at WIRES to identify the snake’s natural habitat, which is certainly not an Aldi store!” the German-based supermarket chain said in a statement.

“We are working closely with our produce supplier to investigate how this incident could have possibly occurred,” Aldi said.

 A pale-headed snake is photographed in Sydney
The venomous paled-headed snake photographed in Sydney (Gary Pattinson/WIRES via AP)

WIRES reptile coordinator Gary Pattinson said while the snake was less than 20cm (8in) long, it was “as venomous as it will ever be”.

Mr Pattinson is caring for the snake until it is returned to Queensland state next week, following the WIRES policy of returning rescued wildlife to where it comes from.

“It’s the first snake I’ve ever had in sealed, packed produce,” Mr Pattinson said. “We get frogs in them all the time.”

Ms Neate said her brush with a venomous snake in a Sydney kitchen was a setback in her efforts to assure relatives in Germany that Australia’s notoriously deadly Outback wildlife was nothing to worry about.

“For the last 10 years or so, I’ve told my family at home that Australia’s a really safe country,” Ms Neate said.

“I’ve always said I’m just in the city, it’s totally fine here,” she added.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access