Turbo-charged Armagh beat Roscommon to reach first All-Ireland semi-final since 2005

Clann Eireann duo Conor Turbitt and Barry McCambridge hit goals as Armagh sink Roscommon

Conor Turbitt celebrates his second half goals with joyous Armagh fans on Hill 16. Picture: Sportsfile
Conor Turbitt celebrates his second half goals with joyous Armagh fans on Hill 16. Picture: Sportsfile (Harry Murphy / SPORTSFILE)

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship quarter-final: Armagh 2-12 Roscommon 0-12

ARMAGH progressed to their first All-Ireland semi-final for 19 years with a scrappy, but deserved, victory over a misfiring Roscommon side.

The Rossies enjoyed plenty of possession in the first half but lacked the pace and movement to really stretch the Armagh defence. When they did create scoring chances, they were unable to take them and sent four shots wide and dropped another four short before half-time.

Armagh were at their best when they turned the ball over and broke from the back. Conor Turbitt sent them ahead inside 10 seconds and his Clann Eireann clubmate Barry McCambridge smashed in their first goal after Rory Grugan picked out his driving run.

Roscommon lost Ruaidhri Fallon to a second yellow card but they trailed by just two points at the break despite having been second best.

Points from Eoin McCormack and Dylan Ruane levelled it early in the second half but Armagh kicked on. Substitute Stefan Campbell added impetus to their attack, Turbitt stroked home their second goal and Oisin Conaty scored four sumptuous points as they pulled away to win by six.

Armagh: B Hughes; P Burns, A McKay, P McGrane; B McCambridge (1-2, 0-1 mark), T Kelly, A Forker (0-1); N Grimley (0-1), B Crealey; O Conaty (0-4), R O’Neill, J McElroy; R Grugan, A Murnin, C Turbitt (1-2, 0-1 free)

Subs: S Campbell (0-2) for McGrane (HT) O O’Neill for R O’Neill (50), A Nugent for Grugan (54), C Mackin for Crealey (64), J Duffy for Forker (70)

Temporary sub: R McQuillan for Forker (50-57)

Yellow card: Kelly (50)

Roscommon: C Carroll; N Higgins (0-1), B Stack (0-1), R Dolan; D Murray, R Daly, E McCormack (0-1); E Smith, R Fallon; U Harney, D Murtagh (0-1), S Cunnane; D Cregg, C Cox (0-6, 0-5 frees), D Smith

Subs: D Ruane (0-2) for Murray (7), C Lennon for Harney (15), A McDermott (0-1) for D Smith (54), C Heneghan for R Daly (61), A Glennon for Cunnane (67)

Yellow cards: R Fallon (23&35)

Red card: R Fallon (35)

Referee: Martin McNally (Monaghan)