Eight more die in Republic of Ireland as issue of all-Ireland travel to be reviewed
The number of people who have died in the Republic of Ireland after contracting coronavirus has risen by eight to 54, the south's National Public Health emergency team has reported.
A total of 295 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 were reported on Monday in the Republic, bringing the overall number to 2,910.
Six of the eight deaths reported on Monday occurred in the east of the country, one in the south and one in the west.
Five were female and three were male.
The median age of the eight victims was 86. Six had underlying health conditions, officials said.
The Republic of Ireland’s chief medical officer, Dr Tony Holohan, challenged the suggestion that the Covid-19 infection rate could currently be lower if restrictions on movement had been introduced earlier.
He said introducing measures too early risked public fatigue when adherence was most needed.
Dr Holohan was asked whether unrestricted movement across the Irish border should continue in the context of differing health policies on tackling the virus.
The senior medic said the issue of all-Ireland travel would be discussed at Tuesday’s meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team. He said potential further restrictions on movement onto the island would also be considered.
“We won’t rule anything in or rule anything out – will give further consideration again tomorrow, and that will include questions of movement on the island,” he said