More Personal finance news

The benefits of independent financial advice

Peter McGahan
FOLLOWING last week’s column on the difference between receiving independent financial advice, or advice from a ‘restricted’ adviser, I had a few queries to answer.

s431 election on Employee Shares

KellyAnne Murtagh
QUESTION: My employer has gifted me shares in the company and has asked me to complete a section 431 election for them.

Selling my home and capital gains tax

Feargal McCormack
QUESTION: I bought my home in Belfast in 2010 and I lived there until 2016 when I took a job in London where I rented a small flat.

Pension age is rising, be aware!

Peter McGahan
PENSIONS are indeed as exciting as a cardboard licking competition and once you have completed one they can easily be thrown to the back of the cupboard awaiting the wonderful retirement date where we hope we can afford our Swedish standard services for American prices.

Tax Corner: Orderly gifting?

Paddy Harty
QUESTION: I am considering making a substantial gift to my children and also setting up a discretionary trust for their future benefit.

Peter McGahan: What you need to consider before investing

Peter McGahan
AS pubs open, so too do the questions at the bar of ‘what do you think of this financial opportunity?' Most recently, the tail end of cryptocurrency investors have been arriving and the lack of financial knowledge, or life experience with those investors, is quite worrying.