Other Sports

Back in the day: in The Irish News on Feb 9 1997: Down snatch last-minute victory over All-Ireland champions Meath via pointed free by John Treanor

Down great Mickey Linden pictured in full flight against Leinster in the Railway Cup 

DOWN snatched a last minute victory over All-Ireland champions Meath with a pointed free by John Treanor in this exciting and very competitive challenge game at O’Doirnin Park, Forkhill.

A crowd of about 3,000 turned out to support the local church and school building funds who benefited from the proceeds of the game.

Down were ahead within 10 seconds with a Ciaran McCabe point.

Although Cathal Sheridan levelled, Down took control adding five points.

Down replaced their complete full-forward line at half-time and they still held the edge, leading by 0-16 to 1-5 midway through the second half.

Later Jody Devine laced over three points and Nigel Nester two, with PJ Gillic getting the levelling score from a free. But John Treanor gave Down victory with that last minute pointed free.

Down: P Travers; F Caulfield, M McAvoy, L Howlett; D Flynn, R Carr, C Murray; R Sharvin, J Austin (0-1); A Farrell, J Treanor (0-7), T McMahon (0-3); M Linden (0-1), C McCabe (0-4), G Deegan (0-2).

Subs: CP McCartan for C McCabe; K Blaney for M Linden; A McGivern for G Deegan; M McVeigh for P Travers.

Meath: J Curry; T Hanly, J Brady, C Murphy; C Coyle, E McManus, D Curtis (0- 1); K Cahill, PJ Gillic (0-1); P McMahon (1- 0), E Kelly (0-1), N Nestor (0-3); C Sheridan (0-3), J Devine (0-3), F Callaghan (0-1).

Subs: D Fay for C Murphy; A Fay for C Sheridan; N Carney for F Callaghan; T Curran for P McMahon; L Reilly for E Kelly


CUP holders Shelbourne were given one big fright by a very plucky Dundalk, who twice took the lead in a rip-roaring FAI Harp Lager Cup second round tie at Tolka Park, which ended 4-2.

Dundalk went in front after 11 minutes through Brian Byrne.

Then on 20 mins Tony Sheridan swung over the corner from the left wing, and Stephen Geoghegan was allowed a free header, which was deflected past Fridge

Gallen later buried a header from a corner by Hanrahan, as he popped up at the near post to put Dundalk ahead again after 55 minutes.

A shock was on the cards, but a little over five minutes later, Fridge was rooted to his line, as the unmarked Morley directed his header low into the net.

Another soft goal by Mark Rutherford gave Shelbourne the lead for the first time after 72 minutes.

Stephen Geoghegan then sealed the holders’ place in the quarter-final.


CATHAL Brugha confirmed their superiority over old rivals Clonard with an emphatic 14-8 win in Division One of the National League at the Grove pool.

Brugha led 2-1 at the end of the first quarter thanks to a splendid long range effort from Nicky McCormack.

Peter Cusick, who was Clonard’s top scorer with five, got their opener. Brugha dominated the middle part of the game and were comfortably in front at 11-5 going into the last quarter.

Scorers for Brugha were: Len McDonnell & Chris Giles (3 each), McCormack & Michael Campsie (2 each), Ciaran McGurk, Brian Rice, Aidan McMahon & Dessie Monaghan (1 each),

Clonard scorers: Cusick (5), Chris French (2), and Paul Murnaghan (1),

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access

Other Sports