Hurling and camogie

Antrim camogs denied in last poc of game against Galway

Antrim ace Aileen McManus
Séamas McAleenan



Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Group 1: Antrim 3-7 Galway 2-11; Kilkenny 4-15 Kildare 0-6; Tipperary 3-13 Westmeath 4-8

Antrim 3-7 Galway 2-11

A GOAL direct from a 25m free with the last poc of the game saw Galway snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in this Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Intermediate championship group game at Portglenone on Saturday.

Free-taker Rachel Monahan drove the sliotar through the Saffron line of defence and there was no time for Caitriona Graham to re-start.

Antrim were clearly disappointed at the end, but for large chunks of the game they posed very little threat to the Galway goal, just one point from play before the break and a goal that was tapped home off the goalie’s stick.

But they also had little luck with both the visitors’ goals coming in added time, Monahan playing in Karen Kennedy right on the half-time whistle and then firing home that late winner at the death.

In hindsight it was a game Antrim could and should have won. Their defence held out for long periods of the game and Monahan from placed balls was the main threat. However ball into their forward line offered at best a 50/50 chance to their forwards and Galway’s defence also profited.

The game was sitting on two frees each for Monahan and Katie McAleese when a point effort from McAleese dropped in front of goalie Megan McDonagh. She allowed the sliotar to bounce on her stick but Caoimhe McAleenan quickly tapped it over the line.

That was in the 11th minute and Galway added points from Monahan (free), Karen Kennedy and Elisha Broderick before Katie McAleese posted her third point in the 27th minute and it was quickly followed by a fine point from Racquel Murphy before Monahan broke on the left wing and played in Kennedy for a half-time lead of 1-5 to 1-4.

Galway dominated the opening ten minutes of the second half, but could only move forward to 1-8 to 1-5 and then 1-10 to 1-6 by the 47th minute when Antrim suddenly woke up.

Lucia McNaughton burst down the left wing and her high ball was expertly fielded by Racquel Murphy. Her power drive to the net narrowed the gap to a point.

Although Amy Caulfield responded with a point, McNaughton was pulled down for a penalty that Murphy despatched to the net in the 54th minute.

When Katie McAleese added a point a minute later after a lay-off from Murphy, they looked ready to close the deal only for that late goal from a free to steal it from their grasp.

Antrim: C Graham, M Lynn, K Donnelly, C Patterson, C Drain, A McManus, L McKenna, A Boyle, N Donnelly, L McNaughton, K McAleese (0-5, 0-3 frees), R McCormick, O O’Hara, R Murphy (2-2, 1-0 pen, 0-1 free), C McAleenan (1-0).

Subs: M Kelly for C McAleenan (HT), C McCarry for O O’Hara (HT), A Mulholland for C Drain (47), C Laverty for A Boyle (47).

Galway: M McDonagh, C Donohue, L Coen, L Brennan, A Downey, E Gilmore, A Dervan, D Higgins, L Casserley, K Kennedy (1-1), R Monahan (1-7 frees), E Broderick (0-1), N Fox (0-1), A Caulfield (0-1), T Rutledge.

Subs: E Porter for A Dervan (35), S Minihan for L Casserley (55), D Walsh for N Fox (55).

Referee: P Egan

Tipperary 3-13 Westmeath 4-8

TIPPERARY pulled off a shock two points win over league finalists Westmeath at the Ragg on Saturday.

Remarkably the home side only took the lead for the first time in the 52nd minute when Niamh Tracey found the net and the same player added a point soon after to put three between the sides.

That completed a wonderful turnaround for Tipperary who trailed by 3-5 to 0-7 at the break with goals from Megan Dowall (2) and Pamela Greville.

Tipperary hit the first four points of the second half, but a Denise McGrath goal followed by a Dowdall point seemed to have calmed the waters again for Westmeath.

Jenny Grace’s goal in the 50th minute closed the gap to a point at 4-7 to 2-12 and Tracey sealed the win that opens the table up once more for Antrim

Tipperary: Niamh Treacy (1-4) Andrea Loughnane (1-1), Jenny Grace (1-6), Aoife McLoughney 0-2.

Westmeath: Megan Dowdall (2-2), Pamela Greville (1-2), Denise McGrath (1-0), Sheila McGrath (0-20, Aoife Boyle (0-1), Sarah King (0-1)

Kilkenny 4-15 Kildare 0-6

THERE was absolutely no chance of a shock home win at the Hawksfield centre in Newbridge as Kilkenny moved clear at the top of the table with a second victory

Kilkenny led by 1-10 to 0-4 at the break, Marie O’Connell completing the first half scoring with a late goal.

With only Maria Lyons getting on the score-sheet for the home side, it was mostly one-way traffic for the Cats.

Kilkenny: R Kelly (2-5, 0-3 frees), M O’Connell (1-1), L Gahan (1-1), M Kenneally (0-2), E Fitzpatrick (0-2), L Fitzpatrick (0-1), S Fitzgerald (0-1), C Phelan (0-1), E Coonan (0-1)

Kildare: M Lyons (0-6, 0-4 frees)

Group 2 results to date:

June 16: Kilkenny 3-14 Antrim 0-6, Galway 3-11 Tipperary 2-14, Westmeath 6-13 Kildare 2-5

June 30: Antrim 3-07 Galway 2-11, Kilkenny 4-15 Kildare 0-6, Tipperary 3-13 Westmeath 4-8


Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Senior Championship Group 1: Galway 3-14 Limerick 1-11; Kilkenny 1-13 Waterford 0-10

KILKENNY and Galway maintained their 100 per cent records in Group 1 of the Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Senior Camogie Championship, with wins over Waterford and Limerick respectively.

Kilkenny had to work hard to beat Waterford by 1-13 to 0-10 at Walsh Park, despite the home team playing most of the second half with 14 players after the dismissal of goalkeeper Briona Langton.

The Déise girls got off to a confidence-boosting start with points from Annie Fitzgerald and Beth Carton but Michelle Quilty hit back with a goal to edge Kilkenny into the lead.

Carton equalised but points from Denise Gaule, Miriam Walsh, Claire Phelan, Katie Power and Quilty moved Kilkenny clear by 1-8 to 0-5 at half time.

Anna Farrell stretched the advantage early in the second half before Langton was sent off but Waterford more than held their own, with Carton and Deirdre Fahey pointing.

Grace Walsh, Power and Shelly Farrell responded though and Ann Downey’s charges maintained the upper hand to the end for a good win, although Waterford will get plenty from the game as they prepare for games against Limerick and Clare.

Galway laid the groundwork for their 3-14 to 1-11 win over Limerick in Bruff in the opening period. Niamh Kilkenny, who missed the victory over Waterford with a finger injury had a point after 15 seconds and also finished expertly for a goal soon after.

Laura O’Neill made a stunning save from Ailish O’Reilly but she could do nothing about Niamh Hannify’s strike, after good work from Aoife O’Donohue to make it 2-7 to 0-5 at half time.

Galway stretched their lead after the break with leading scorer Carrie Dolan among the points and they kept the scoreboard ticking over.

Niamh Mulcahy, who scored 10 points to join Tipperary’s Cáit Devane as championship leading scorer on 0-24, maintained Limerick’s interest but Hanniffy goaled late on, though there was still time for Deborah Egan to snatch a consolation goal.

Group 1 Results to date

June 9: Galway 1-16 Clare 0-9, Kilkenny 2-18 Limerick 0-11

June 16: Galway 4-12 Waterford 0-8, Clare 0-8 Limerick 0-8

June 30: Galway 3-14 Limerick 1-11, Kilkenny 1-13 Waterford 0-10

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access



Hurling and camogie

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: