GAA Football

Back in the day - Cargin win Antrim Title- The Irish News, Sep 12 1999

The Irish News Archive

Tennents Antrim SFC final replay: Cargin 1-12 St Paul’s 2-7

CARGIN made life difficult for themselves before securing the Antrim senior football title at Casement Park on Saturday evening.

After falling behind in their first Antrim senior football final clash with St Paul’s and playing catch up throughout, they fell into exactly the same position in Saturday evening’s replay at Casement Park.

Two goals from the mighty St Paul’s in the opening five minutes and the Toome men’s hopes looked dashed.

Corner-back turned corner forward Anto Finnegan had Paul Brogan picking the ball from the Cargin net in just two minutes and three minutes

later the Tyrone-born keeper, playing in his first Antrim championship, was again on the receiving end when John McCaffrey was given the freedom of the park to crash home a John McManus free.

On this occasion however last season’s beaten finalists had much more to offer and, by the 20th minute they had the game level.

A third minute Eddie Quinn point kept them in touch and they added five more between the sixth and 20th minutes to rein in the Belfast side.

Without the injured Aiden Donnelly, St Paul’s did struggle during this period but late point from John McManus, Anto Finnegan, who was most impressive in his new forward role, and Barry O’Neill saw the south Antrim men change ends 2-3 to 0-6 ahead.

Six minutes into the second half and it was again level. A penalty award when Quinn was brought down saw Sheeny McQuillan handed the task of conversion.

He stroked the ball past Sean McGreevy, who, just six minutes into the game had spectacularly saved from Dermot McPeake.

It was nip and tuck all the way before two Eddie Quinn points in the 55th and 58th minutes gave the Toome side their third title.

Cargin: P Brogan, M Logan, P Graffin, B McCann, S Devlin, M Johnston, M McAuley, C O’Neill, S McQuillan (1-1), K Doyle (0-3), E Quinn (0-3), D Gallagher, E McCann (0-1), R McGuckian (0-1), D McPeake (0-3)

Sub: M Gribben for McAuley (36 mins).

St Paul’s: S McGreevy, P McStravick, G Finnegan, N Ward, R O’Neill, C McStravick, P McStravick, C Murphy, P McErlean, B O’Neill (0-1), P

McCaffrey (1-0), J McManus (0-3), L McGonigle, P Hickson, A Finnegan (1-2) Subs: N Farren (0-1) for McGonigle (36 mins), J Quinn for P McStravick (44 mins), P Cavanagh for McCaffrey (55 mins).

Referee: Jim Murray (McDermotts).

Ulster Club Camogie final: Liatroim 2-9 Crosserlough 3-2

Fontenoys shaken but lift crown

LIATROIM were crowned Ulster Club champions but they had to fight hard to take the title.

Two Crosserlough goals within 30 seconds, seven minutes into the second half threatened to derail Liatroim Fontenoys’ bid for

a fourth Ulster club camogie title in five seasons.

A few minutes earlier Mairin McAleenan had blasted to the Crosserlough net to put her team 1-7 to 1-0 ahead and seemingly at

last in control on the scoreboard after shooting 12 wides.

Crosserlough however refused to bow down and Olive Farrelly nipped between two hesitant Liatroim defenders to poke

home a goal.

Liatroim Fontenoys: J Brown, B Gallagher, D Greenan, A Morgan, B Kelly, N Magee (capt), C McGovern (0-1), M Murray, S McGovern, L McCrickard, M McAleenan (1-7, five frees), R Cunningham, R O’Higgins, C McCrickard (0-1), L Quinn (1-0)

Sub: C McGovern for R Cunningham (42 mins).

Crosserlough: S Joyce, G Reilly, D Wilton, M Lovett, G Comiskey, L Day, S Tully, E Smith (capt), B Farrelly, C Boyd, B Lynch (1-2, two frees), N

Keenan, D Kearns, H McCabe (1-0), O Farrelly (1-0)

Sub: T Lyng for D Kearns (57 mins).

Referee: A Woods (Armagh).

Guinness Down SHC final replay: Ballygalget 1-11 Portaferry 0-8

Clinical Ballygalget earn historic victory

From Matt Fitzpatrick

at McKenna Park

BALLYGALGET ran themselves into the

Down history books with a three-in-arow

of senior hurling titles when they

overcame a lethargic Portaferry in the

Guinness Down Senior Hurling

Championship final replay at McKenna

Park on Saturday evening.

The standard produced was much

higher than in the drawn game and the

winners deserved their victory, if only

for their first time striking and ability to

take scores when the chances arose.

Portaferry, for their part, were a big

disappointment and the meagre return

of eight points shows that their

forwards were again well held by the

Ballygalget defence.

Just as in the drawn encounter,

Ballygalget started well and were three

points up in eight minutes with scores

from Johnny McGrattan, Brendan

Gallagher and Paddy Coulter.

The dominance of the Ballygalget

midfielders Tom Coulter and Paddy

Monan was most pronounced

throughout and apart from a short spell

midway through the first half, they were

always in control.

Much credit must go to the Ballygalget

full-back line of Liam Clarke, who won

the player of the match award, Kevin

Coulter and Emmett Dorian while centre

half-back Paul Coulter snuffed out any

danger from Portaferry’s Noel Sands.

It was left to the Ballygalget attack to

get the scores which mattered most.

However, it was substitute Conal

McGrattan who got the all important

goal midway through the second half.

Portaferry played well during the

opening period with defenders Martin

Mallon, Barry Milligan and TJ

Fitzsimmons outstanding. They were

also struggling at midfield despite the

best efforts of Emmett Trainor.

With Noel Sands unable to shake off

the attentions of Paul Coulter, the attack

suffered and apart from Stephen Murray

and Paul Braniff they provided little

danger to the Ballygalget defence.

After their opening burst, Ballygalget

were put on the back foot as Portaferry

scored four unanswered points to take a

one point lead midway through the half,

the scores coming from Emmett Trainor,

Paul Rogers and two from Paul Braniff.

Ten minutes from half-time Martin

Coulter levelled and the sides

exchanged two points each as they

remained tied at 0-6 each at half-time.

The third quarter produced only one

score and that was a Portaferry by

Ruairi McGrattan.

The deadlock was broken midway

through the half when a long range Tom

Coulter free was sent to the net by Conal

McGrattan. This score gave Ballygalget

a tonic and they finished with five

unanswered points for an impressive


Ballygalget: G Clarke, L Clarke, K Coulter

(0-1), E Dorian, L Coulter, Paul Coulter (0-1),

M Pucci, T Coulter (0-1), P Monan, B Coulter,

B Smyth, B Gallagher (0-1), M Coulter (0-2), J

McGrattan (0-3), Paddy Coulter (0-2) Sub: C

McGrattan (1-0) for B Smyth.

Portaferry: G Smith, B Adair, TJ

Fitzsimmons, J Trainor, B Moreland, M

Mallon, B Milligan, B Braniff, E Trainor (0-1),

G Adair, N Sands (0-2), P Braniff (0-2), R

McGrattan (0-1), S Murray (0-1), P Rogers (0-

1) Subs: P Mallon for P Rogers, G McGrattan

for G Adair.

Ref: JA Gribben (Clonduff).

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: