Two Ulster lads Minor Stars on Electric Ireland Team of Year
TWO Ulster lads have been selected on the 2019 Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Awards Football Team of the Year.
Monaghan's Ronan Boyle, from Truagh Gaels, and James Donaghy of Carrickmore and Tyrone, both made it into the defence for the side made up of the 15 judged to be the players that made a lasting impression during this minor football season.
The team was selected by a panel of GAA experts, including former Dublin footballer Tomás Quinn and Donegal's most decorated footballer, Karl Lacey, and was fed into in part by Electric Ireland's 'Player of the Week' initiative on Twitter. The panel will also select an overall Football Player of the Year whose name will be announced at the 2019 Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Awards event.
This year's Electric Ireland Football Team of the Year features four stand-out players from All-Ireland champions Cork, four also from six-time winners and 2019 finalists, Galway, two from Munster champions Kerry, two from Connacht champs Mayo, and one player from each of Kildare, Monaghan, and Tyrone.
Lacey commented: "As a former county minor, it is a massive honour for me to recognise the excellence of these young men. It really resonates with me, having put so much into my own Minor career, the importance of celebrating these players commitment throughout the season.
"Playing Minor is a key stepping stone in any player's GAA career, and an age grade where important lessons and values are learned. It is only right that the achievements, commitment, and dedication of these players is celebrated and what better way than an event especially for them and their families, the Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Awards."
2019 Electric Ireland Football Team of the Year:
1. Devon Burns – Kerry (Na Gaeil)
2. Jonathan McGrath – Galway (Caherlistrane)
3. Oisín Tunney – Mayo (Breaffy)
4. Ronan Boyle – Monaghan (Truagh Gaels)
5. Darragh Cashman – Cork (Millstreet)
6. Daniel Linehan – Cork (Castlemagner)
7. James Donaghy – Tyrone (Carrickmore St. Colmcilles)
8. Ethan Henry – Mayo (Mayo Gaels)
9. James McLaughlin – Galway (Moycullen)
10. Aaron Browne – Kildare (Celbridge)
11. Conor Corbett – Cork (Clyda Rovers)
12. Michael O'Neill – Cork (Buttevant)
13. Daniel Cox – Galway (Moycullen)
14. Tomo Culhane – Galway (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
15. Dylan Geaney – Kerry (Dingle)
The Football and Hurling Teams and Players of the Year will be awarded at the third annual Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Awards, set to take place at Croke Park on Saturday September 28.