GAA Football

Matchbox: GAA Review of U20 B Hurling games: July 13 and 14 2109

Diarmuid Pepper

Down march to U20 B Hurling semi-final:

Down powered their way into the semi-final of the All-Ireland U20 B Hurling Championship with an emphatic victory over Sligo.

Down welcomed Sligo to Páirc Esler for Saturday’s quarter-final clash and made the utmost of home advantage, scoring an impressive 4-21 to Sligo’s 14 points.

The Ardsmen will travel to Owenbeg this Saturday to face Derry in an Ulster show-down in the semi-final.

While Down reached the semi-final on the back of a 19 point victory over Sligo, Derry find themselves in the semi-final as a result of Tyrone conceding the quarter-final tie.

Elsewhere, holders Kerry also booked their place in the semi-final courtesy of a 19 point victory over Wicklow in Thurles.

Kerry will face Meath, who reached the semi-final thanks to a six point victory over Kildare.


Heartache for Meath as Galway edge out Junior Football semi-final:

It’s not often you score 5-22 and still lose a match, but that’s exactly what happened to Meath when they faced Galway in the semi-final of the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship.

The teams couldn’t be separated in normal time, so extra time was called for. In the end, Galway came away victorious by the slimmest of margins, beating Meath by a single point.

There were 12 goals scored in a frantic game that seen Galway score 7-17 to Meath’s 5-22.

Galway’s Colm Brennan grabbed himself three goals, while Gary Kelly hit 2-7.

Galway now advance to the final where they will face Kerry, with the venue yet to be confirmed.


Galway survive scare against Kilkenny in Minor Hurling Championship:

Galway survived a second-half fright against Kilkenny to move on step closer to securing a semi-final spot in the All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship.

Galway were cruising at half-time in the quarter-final round 2 clash, holding a ten point lead over the Cats with a score-line of 2-10 to 0-6.

But almost immediately after the restart, Kilkenny halved Galway’s lead as they scored 1-2 in the opening minutes of the second half.

A second Kilkenny goal five minutes later put a single point between the teams.

Kilkenny went on to pull level, but the next score came from Galway, with Sean McDonagh firing the sliotar into the net.

Despite their second-half heroics, Kilkenny were unable to find an answer to Galway’s goal which proved to be decisive, as the game finished 3-16 to 2-16 in Galway’s favour.

Galway now face a quarter-final round 3 game against Clare this weekend.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: