GAA Football

Back in the day - Tyrone lose their All-Ireland Vocational crown to Mayo boys - The Irish News, May 10 1999

The Irish News Archive

All-Ireland Vocational Schools Inter-county final: Mayo 0-11 Tyrone 1-6

MAYO created a surprise when they defeated holders Tyrone in the All-Ireland Vocational Schools Intercounty final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork yesterday.

This was the first title to go to the western county in 17 years and they thoroughly deserved their victory. Played in terrible conditions after a heavy night’s rain in Cork and a continuous downpour throughout the game the lighter Tyrone side lost their way in the second half. Mayo had very sound midfielders in Sean Reilly and Kevin Lilly while Billy Joe Padden, a son of the former Mayo great, led their attack and gave the Tyrone defence a very serious examination.

It was Padden’s inspirational play in the third quarter which brought Mayo back into the game when they scored five points without reply to wipe out Tyrone’s half-time lead.

He got great support from Albert Dillon and Eddie Barrett while defenders Paul Coady, Barry Gordon and Sean Lindsay gave the Tyrone attackers few second half chances.

Pre-match favourites Tyrone started well but after leading five minutes after the interval they went to sleep and allowed Mayo back into the game. Tyrone went ahead with a point from Enda McGinley after two minutes.

Two minutes later Frank Scully in the Mayo goals brought off a brilliant save from Aidan Quinn.

However, the champions were not to be denied and John Cummings scored their goal after 18 minutes to give them a 1-2 to 0-3 lead. Ed Barratt and Frank Hoben (two) were the Mayo scorers.

Mayo finished the half with two further points from the very accurate Hoben to leave the sides level at half-time on the score Tyrone 1-2 Mayo 0- 5.

Within five minutes of the restart Sean Hampsey with two points had Tyrone ahead.

However, brilliantly inspired by Padden, Mayo scored five points without reply to lead by 0-10 to 1-4 midway through the second half.

Tyrone fought back bravely with points from Shane Mallon and Barry Collins to leave just one between the sides with five minutes remaining.

In an exciting finish both sides missed several chances before Gary Dillon gave Mayo the insurance point which they held until the finish.

Mayo: F Scully, J Duffy, B Gordon, R McDermot, P Keane, P Coady, S Lindsay, S Reilly, K Lally, E Barratt (0-2), B J Padden (0-1), D Doherty (0-2), A Dillon (0- 1), F Hoben (0-4), G Dillon (0-1).

Tyrone: P Ward, A McCrory, R Ward, G Quinn, N Quinn, F Loughran, E Bradley, G Quinn, S Hampsey (0-2), K Hughes, E Mulligan, J Cummings (1-1), B Collins (0-1), E McGinley (0-1)’ A Quinn.

Sub: S Mallon 0-1 for G Quinn.

Ref: M Collins (Cork)

Camogie Cork .......3-13 Down ...... 1-5

No shame for Down in defeat by Cork

CONSIDERING that a spate of recent injuries had depleted the Down squad and that they were forced to begin this National Senior League game two players short, they in fact did quite well to hold the league and championship holders to this scoreline.

The two missing players were caught in traffic and arrived during the first half, by which time the visitors actually led 0-3 to 0-1.

Lynn Dunlea and Cathy Mulholland then swapped points before Fiona O’Driscoll’s 18th minute goal gave Cork control and the Leesiders added five unanswered points before Down’s next score – a Coleen Hynds point – in the 26th minute.

The half-time score of 2-7 to 1-5 was creditable enough for the Ulster side in the circumstances but they failed to raise a flag during the second half, although they defended superbly to keep Cork from running away with the game.

Cork: S Dunlea, E Duggan, M Finn, P O’Connor, D Cronin, V Harris (0-1), L Mellerick (0-1), U Troy, M O’Connor (0-2), S O’Callaghan, L O’Sullivan, L Dunlea (-26, 1-6 frees), F O’Driscoll (1-3, 0-1 free), M Deasy

Sub: T Doyle for M Deary

Down: T McGowan, D Savage, D Greeran, A Morgan, C McGovern, E Mason, P Green, J Henderson, J Braniff, V Hynds, M McAleenan (0-2 frees), A Fearon, C Mulholland (1-1), C McGrath (0-1), C Hynds (0-1 free)

Ref: J Morrissey (Tipperary)

Armagh 2-9 Antrim 0-7

A more compact Armagh, with Vincent Mone the shinning light, had little trouble in outshooting Antrim in yesterday’s Ulster Junior Hurling Championship at wintry Corrigan Park.

A 2-9 to 0-7 victory was no more than the visitors deserved as they were in command most of the way after midfield man Sean Hughes fired over the opening point in 26 seconds against the stiff breeze, to give Armagh the lead.

The opening half was interesting with the teams level four times. Antrim, thanks to good points by Damian Curran and Martin McAuley, led 0-3 to 0-1 after eight minutes but two minutes later it was all square.

It was level in the 20th and 23rd minutes, as well, but after Rory Bonnes missed the chance of an Antrim goal, Armagh hit hard.

Two minutes from the break full-forward Leon Reynolds cut in from the right on a 20-metres solo dash and the Lurgan man fired a rocket to the net to give Armagh a 1-5 to 0-5 interval lead.

With the wind in their backs Armagh attacked constantly in the second half but overshot the target regularly during the opening minutes before full-back KP Mone rifled over a midfield free-puck.

The second Armagh goal came from a Vincent Mone 20-metres free in the 48th minute and was the killer blow.

Antrim’s only contribution in the second period was two points from frees in the 36th and 55th minutes and it never looked likely that they would break through a solid Armagh defence. Armagh now meet Down in the provincial semi-finals.

Antrim: R Graham; D McCann, R Rooney, R McKenna; J McAuley, J Butler, D O’Boyle; G McAuley, D Curran 0-1; D Healy 0-1, M McAuley 0-3, G McIlhatton; J Gillen, JA McKay, R Bonnes.

Subs: J McVeigh 0-2 for McKay (20 mins), M Murphy for M McAuley (36 mins).

Armagh: B Donnelly; J O’Neill, KP Mone 0-1, R Devlin; PC Gormley, S McConnell, P Burke; S Hughes (0-2), E McKee; V Mone 1-6, P Lappin, N McCann; R Digby, L Reynolds 1-0, M Lennon.

Subs: J Gorman for Lennon (48 mins), Lennon for Reynolds inj (52 mins), J Breen for McCann (58 mins). Ref: M Glass (Derry).

Champs are edged out in Newcastle

Down 0-6 Monaghan 0-5

DOWN created a major surprise as they defeated Ulster champions Monaghan in St Patrick’s Park Newcastle yesterday.

This was a major achievement by Down considering that they fielded what in reality was their third string with no players from the Ards clubs allowed to take part while senior players Jerome McCrickard, Anthony Tinnelly and John Brown were ruled ineligible having played in last year’s Ulster Senior Championship.

Monaghan controlled the first half mainly through the midfield power of Pat O’Connell and Martin Hanratty while defenders David Bolger, David Connolly and Noel McGuigan gave the Down attackers few chances. In attack Monaghan’s best work came from Paul Cunningham, Martin Baker and Pat Walsh.

It was all so different in the second half as Down moved up a gear with defenders Paddy Brannigan, Paul McCabe and John Trainor completely shutting out the Monaghan attack while Tom McMahon took control at midfield.

In a wasteful attack which shot eight second half wides the star player was corner-forward Allister McGilligan with Declan Burns and Cormac McCabe giving him good support.

Down: N Sharvin, F Murray, P Brannigan, P Burke, B McAlleenan, P McCabe, J Trainor, T McMahon, P McCusker, D Burns 0-1, T McAlleenan, C McCabe 0-1, J Morgan, H McCabe, A McGilligan 0-4.

Monaghan: O Connell, N McGuigan, D Bolger, G Curley, P Kelly, D Connolly, D Hanrahan, P O’Connell 0-2, M Hanratty, M Baker, C Connolly, P Power, P Ward, P Cunningham 0-2, P Walsh 0-1.

Subs: L Ward for P Ward, S McKernan for P Walsh, M Kelly for P Kelly.

Ref: J Devlin (Tyrone)

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: