GAA Football

Pomeroy beat Clonoe to set up semi-final with Errigal Ciaran

Frank Burns top scored for Pomeroy in their win over Clonoe on Tuesday night Picture by Seamus Loughran
From Francis Mooney at the Athletic Grounds

Donnelly Vauxhall Tyrone SFC quarter-final replay: Clonoe 1-10 Pomeroy 2-10

GIANT-KILLERS Pomeroy claimed another big scalp with an insired performance in last night's Tyrone SFC quarter-final replay at the Athletic Grounds.

They dumped out Clonoe with a combination of guts, skill and selfless endeavour to stun one of the title favourites.

It was another tumultuous evening for the Plunkett's, who are in the last four strictly on merit, having done it the hard way, beating reigning champions Killyclogher in the opening round before taking out another major force of Tyrone football.

Their reward is a semi-final joust with yet another giant when they face Errigal Ciaran in Sunday's semi-final, and who would bet against this remarkable group of footballers pulling off another shock?

Clonoe had clawed their way back after falling behind in the drawn encounter, but this time they were intent on forcing their opponents to chase the game.

They got off to a high tempo start, with Declan McClure knocking over a couple of frees, but despite dominating possession with the wind at their backs, they were unable to make it count on the scoreboard.

The Plunkett's were restricted to breaks on the counter-attack, and despite the stoic efforts of Clonoe full-back Aidan Brady, they picked off a couple of score through Jude Campbell and John Loughran to trail by just a point at the end of the opening quarter.

The pressure on the Pomeroy defence was sustained, however, but Sean Quinn, Aidan Woods, Hugh Pat McGeary and Ciaran McKenna responded brilliantly.

Quinn led a series of breakaways with his pace along the left flank, one of which sent Frank Burns in for a point.

Burns had a chance of levelling from a free, but missed the target, and Clonoe broke way for Paul Coney to send the O'Rahilly's in with a 0-5 to 0-3 interval lead.

But Chris Colhoun sent Gavin Goodfellow in for a Pomeroy goal just 90 seconds into the second half to put them ahead for the first time.

Connor McAliskey, making his first start of the season, sent over a brilliant long range equaliser, but Plunkett's

centre-back Brendan Burns charged upfield to instantly cancel out the score.

Tyrone attacker McAliskey was becoming increasingly influential, hoisting another spectacular score, and forcing goalkeeper John McCourt to come off his line to save the day.

But the Plunkett's still had their noses in front going into the final quarter, after Frank Burns sent Kieran McGeary in to score.

The tension was mounting as Burns nudged his side two ahead, and when Goodfellow sent substitute Aidan McKenna in to click home a second goal, the newly promoted side led by four with four minutes to play.

PJ Lavery smashed in a sensational goal from 20 yards to narrow the gap to a point, but it was not enough as Kevin Armstrong and Burns clinched it for the Plunkett's.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: