GAA Football

Tyrone SFC wins for Errigal Ciaran and Omagh while Pomeroy and Clonoe draw

Trillick's James Garrity and Coalisland goalkeeper Johnny Curran will meet again tonight three days after the sides drew in their Vauxhall Donnelly Tyrone SFC quarter-final
By Francis Mooney

Vauxhall Donnelly Tyrone SFC quarter-final: Errigal Ciaran 0-11 Carrickmore 0-8

A TYPICALLY feisty battle between two old foes swung in Errigal Ciaran’s favour as they threw off the shackles and went for it at Pomeroy last night.

Trailing by two points at the break, Errigal threw caution to the wind and took on the Carmen defence with strong running and fearless finishing, finally wearing down the championship specialists to set up a semi-final clash with either Clonoe or Pomeroy.

Mark Kavanagh is a sweet striker of the ball off his left foot, and he punched over three priceless points in the second half and kicked the clincher in stoppage-time as Carrickmore committed everything to a desperate search for the scores that would have kept them in the game.

Carrickmore had to play the final 17 minutes with 14 men following a straight red card for Brendan McLaughlin, but they were never out of this compelling tie until the final whistle sounded.

Both sides had to work the ball patiently as they probed for the openings that would find them a way through packed defences.

It was Carrickmore who proved more adept on the counter-attack in the opening quarter, with Conor Gormley firing over a couple of long-range scores, after Padraig McGirr and Cathal McRory had hit the target at the other end.

Errigal did have their chances, but were forced into difficult shots which sailed wide of the target, and Gormley was again at the heart of the move which saw Martin Penrose lay off for Ruairi Loughran to make it 0-4 to 0-2.

Paul McAleer stretched the lead to three, but McGirr’s second score, followed by a Davy Harte free, helped the men from Dunmoyle close the gap to one.

Penrose knocked over his second free to send Carmen in with a 0-6 to 0-4 advantage, and they were looking confident in front of the big Plunkett Park crowd.

But it was a different Errigal approach that changed the course of the game. After Penrose had stretched Carrickmore’s lead from a free, the Dunmoyle men pushed their opponents right back into their own half, and with Peter Harte spraying delightful passes, the angles of attack were varied.

It was along the left flank that they found the most joy, with Kavanagh always available to take on his man and excecute the score.

Minor star Peter Og McCartan was also on target, and they had just gone ahead when Carrickmore lost McLaughlin to a straight red card on 50 minutes.

Tommy Canavan pushed the lead out to two late on, and even in eight minutes of added time, Carrickmore could manage just one score, another Penrose free.

A Mickey Donaghy free dropped short, and Errigal broke away again for Kavanagh to sprint in from halfway to fire over the score that finally settled a compelling contest.

Pascal Canavan and his management team will be interested spectators at tomorrow night’s replay between Clonoe and Pomeroy.


Vauxhall Donnelly Tyrone SFC quarter-final: Errigal Ciaran 0-11 Carrickmore 0-8

OMAGH scored a second championship win in the space of four days to move smoothly through to the semi-finals, with the help of a brilliant Barry Tierney goal.

They took some time to break down a stubborn Greencastle defence at Killyclogher yesterday, but once they got that familiar momentum going there was no stopping Paddy Crozier’s side.

Full-forward Conor O’Donnell continued where he had left off at the Athletic Grounds four days previously, slotting over a couple of scores to bring his side level after Mark Carson and Cahir McCullagh had scored early.

Conan Grugan and Conor Meyler were conducting the orchestra, creating scores for Barry Tierney and O’Donnell, as well as getting their own names on the scoresheet as they moved ahead by 0-8 to 0-3.

Sean Fox pulled one back for Greencastle, but they suffered a huge blow in stoppage-time when their main man, Cahir McCullagh, received a black card.

An uneventful third quarter saw Mark Carson and Joe McMahon both thump 45s between the posts, before Tierney set the game alight with a brilliant 45th minute goal.

He collected from Meyler in his own half-back line, and set off on a lung-busting 80-yard run, exchanging passes with Conan Grugan before picking his spot in the bottom corner of Collie Tuohy’s net.

O’Donnell brought his tally to five with a fisted effort, and there were further scores for Jason McAnulla and Grugan as the St Enda’s completed an impressive day’s work.


Vauxhall Donnelly Tyrone SFC quarter-final: Clonoe 0-13 Pomeroy 0-13

SENIOR new boys Pomeroy almost claimed a second big scalp to add to their first round win over county champions Killyclogher.

Clonoe needed a stoppage-time equaliser to force tomorrow night’s replay (8pm) following a gripping encounter at Edendork.

The Plunketts showed no fear as they threw themselves into the contest, racing into a 0-6 to 0-1 lead with scores from Frank Burns, Brendan Burns, Ollie McCreesh, Ryan Loughran and Aidan Woods, and some brilliant defending from Ciaran McKenna, Denver Nugent and Hugh Pat McGeary.

Declan McClure landed a couple of frees to keep the O’Rahilly’s in touch, but another volley of scores, two of them from Frank Burns, had Pomeroy ahead by 0-9 to 0-4 at the break.

Clonoe scored four of the first five points of the second half to close the gap, with Danny McNulty and PJ Lavery getting important scores.

But Pomeroy survived a stretch of pressure to drive forward again, with Brendan Burns, John Loughran and Jude Campbell giving them a four-point lead going into the closing 10 minutes.

However, battle-hardened Clonoe dug themselves out of a hole, getting points from Dwayne Quinn, Lavery, Collie Doris and a stoppage time McNulty leveller.


Vauxhall Donnelly Tyrone SFC quarter-final replay: Coalisland v Trillick (Monday, Healy Park, 8pm)

TRILLICK and Coalisland meet this evening for the second time in four days to settle their Tyrone quarter-final.

Healy Park, scene of a tense drawn encounter on Friday night, is the venue once again for a replay that is expected to be as close as the drawn game, which finished deadlocked at 1-10 to 0-13, with Coalisland’s Paddy McNeice getting the only goal of the game.

The difference about this meeting is that they know who the eventual winners will face in the semi-finals, yesterday’s draw having paired them with St Enda’s, Omagh

This rematch will go to extra-time if necessary, and it could well do, if it follows the pattern of a stalemate that was dominated by defences, particularly in the final quarter, with the last 12 minutes failing to produce a single score.

Trillick’s ace finisher Lee Brennan was held to a single point from play by marker Michael McKernan, and that match-up will once again prove crucial to the outcome.

Allstar Mattie Donnelly and Allstar nominee Padraig Hampsey will be looking to exert a greater influence for their respective sides, while Donnelly’s brother Richie will once again be an important influence for 2015 champions Trillick around midfield.

Coalisland finished the drawn game with 14 men following the late dismissal of attacker Dermot Thornton, but he will be available, having been sent off on a second booking.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: