GAA Football

Tyrone SFC: Clonoe back from the brink to edge tie of the round against Dromore

Clonoe's Dan McNulty and Dromore's Peter Teague
Francis Mooney

Tyrone SFC

Pomeroy 1-9 Killyclogher 0-7

NEWLY-PROMOTED Pomeroy delivered a major shock by dumping holders Killyclogher out of the race for the O’Neill Cup at Dunmoyle.

A heroic effort by the reigning Ulster IFC champions earned them a quarterfinal joust with another major force – Clonoe. John Loughran’s 15th minute goal gave the Plunkett’s the edge. Killyclogher had to play the second half with just 14 men following the second yellow card dismissal of defender Gary Wallace.

It was 1-2 to 0-4 at the end of a tactical first half, with wing-back Aidan Woods hitting two superb Pomeroy points, but Dominic Corrigan’s side went back in front through James Carlin.

However, with Tyrone star Mark Bradley held to a single point from play by Brendan Burns, Killyclogher managed just one point in the final quarter.

Pomeroy scored five on the spin with Kieran McGeary, Frank Burns and Loughran all hitting the target as they headed confidently for a famous victory.

Clonoe 1-10 Dromore 0-12

CLONOE came from behind to win last night’s gripping tie with a brilliant Patrick Doris goal.

They trailed by four points going into the last five minutes, but staged a rousing comeback to deny a Dromore side that had looked set for the quarter-finals.

A tactical, defensive first half forced both sides into a patient approach as they held possession, waiting for the opening to appear.

Ruairi Sludden shot Dromore in front, but the sides were level three times in the opening quarter, with Dwayne Quinn and Declan McClure on target for the O’Rahilly’s.

Cathal McCarron pushed forward to shoot Dromore in front and a Sludden free opened a two-point gap, but Clonoe rallied again for Danny McNulty and McClure to convert frees.

The St Dympna’s led by 0-6 to 0-5 at the break and a flying start to the second half saw them hit three to go four ahead, Ruairi Sludden finishing off a sweeping move for a superb score.

Clonoe introduced Connor McAliskey, who missed Tyrone’s season with a cruciate injury, and they narrowed the gap back to three through McClure.

And they went level three minutes from the end when Patrick Doris drilled home a magnificent goal.

Dwayne Quinn edged them ahead and they held on for a narrow win.

Coalisland 3-11 Galbally 1-11

COALISLAND’S scoring burst at the beginning of the second half saw them shake off the stubborn challenge of Galbally at Edendork.

The youthful Pearse’s made life difficult for a fancied Fianna side, and were just two points adrift late in the opening half while playing into the wind.

Cathaoir Quinn, Paddy McNeice, Dermot Thornton and Plunkett Kane were all on target as Coalisland patiently set about breaking down a heavily fortified Galbally defence.

Paul Rafferty, Daniel Kerr and Conor Donnelly hit the target at the other end and Coalisland led by 0-8 to 0-3 at the break.

But they grabbed two goals in the opening five minutes of the second half, with McNeice and Stephen McNally both hitting the net.

Thornton’s fourth score opened up an 11-point gap, but Galbally battled to the end, and were rewarded with a Sean Murphy goal.

However, the Fianna finished the job off when midfielder McNally went through for his second goal eight minutes from the end.


Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

GAA Football