GAA Football

Back in the day: sport shorts from The Irish News on November 24 1996


Down retained their unbeaten position in Division Three of the National League with a comprehensive victory over All-Ireland B finalists Longford thanks to Conor Deegan

THE majority of the National League games fell to the victim to a flurry of snow.

Ulster champions Tyrone’s game of the day clash with All-Ireland champions Meath at Omagh was one of the first matches to be called off.

Derry PRO Bernie Mullan said it was likely the Oak Leaf county’s Division One away encounter against Cavan would be rescheduled for Sunday, despite Bellaghy’s involvement in the Ulster Club final with Crossmaglen.

Monaghan’s postponed clash against Armagh is also likely to be re-fixed for Sunday as is the division three clash between Westmeath and Antrim which was called off.


AN under-strength Down team retained their unbeaten position in Division Three of the National League with a comprehensive victory over All-Ireland B finalists Longford at Pearse Park.

Down owed their victory to a magnificent midfield performance from Conor Deegan who had been drafted there from full-back because of injuries to Gregory McCartan and Gareth Bailie.

The big Downpatrick man completely dominated with superb fielding and excellent passes and had his best game in a Down jersey since the 1994 All-Ireland final win over Dublin.


DUBLIN’S Charlie Redmond was sent off after only two minutes of the Division Two clash against Clare. Unlike the previous year’s infamous All-Ireland final, Redmond did not attempt to stay on the pitch.

Despite the setback, the 1995 All-Ireland Champions grafted to a 0-11 to 0-8 victory over a very limited Banner outfit. In division one, Kildare’s 100 per cent league record ended in Cork with the Rebels winning by the narrowest of margins - 0-9 to 1-5.


LOUTH stunned All-Ireland finalists Mayo with a committed display that brought them a win by the narrowest of margins at rain-sodden Drogheda.

Mayo were left to reflect on three misses in the final three minutes when they could have sneaked the game, but that would have been hard on Louth, who bounced back from a disappointing loss at Leitrim and now top Division Two as they enter their winter break.


DONEGAL made the long journey to Tralee in vain as they came second best to an under-strength Kerry side.

The Kingdom, short four regulars, drafted in some late replacements who gave a spirited display to win two badly needed league points.

Donegal, meanwhile, took the field without Manus Boyle and Damien Diver.

The young Kerry men were out to make amends for their recent humiliating defeat at the hands of Meath and they dominated proceedings from the early stages, leading by 1-4 to 0-1 early on.

Donegal rallied thanks to a Tony Boyle penalty but a goal from sub Brian Clarke put Kerry 2-5 to 1-3 ahead at the three-quarter stage, and they held on for a 2-9 to 2-7 win.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

GAA Football