GAA Football

Dramatic finish as Creggan clawed back in injury time to draw with Cargin

Creggan Kickham's Enda McGrogan holds off a challenge from Erin Own Cargin's Thomas McCann. Picture: Matt Bohill.
David Mohan

CARGIN and Creggan must do it all again as a last gasp free from Tommy McCann sealed a draw and a replay after a dramatic 60 minutes in Ahoghill last night writes Anthony Gunning.

At one stage, Kickham's looked on course for a heavy defeat as they tailed by seven midway through the first half, but Kevin Madden's side showed plenty of resolve to fight back and give themselves a second bite at the cherry.

Creggan actually enjoyed a dream start when Mark Dougan found the net after 15 seconds, but Cargin responded well and tied the game with points from three points - one from a free - from the impressive Ciaran Close before he then bagged a goal.

Erin's Own were now well on top and a Close free put them four clear and they hit their second goal soon after when Michael Clarke netted as they threatened to run riot.

However, Creggan weathered the storm and a Tommy McCann free got them back on track. A well-worked move finished by Conor Small reduced the gap to five after 20 minutes and two further scores from Mark Dougan - one from a free - left just a goal in it.

However, a Cargin free from Close - who hit 1-5 in the first half -  and a Michael McCann point moved the defending champions five clear, but Conor Small had the final say of the half to leave four in it - 2-6 to 1-5 - at the break.

Creggan had a great chance to leave just one in it after the break, but John McNabb saved from Conor Small, but they did reduce the deficit to a goal thanks to a Dougan free soon after. A sweeping Creggan move then resulted in Dougan firing over to leave just two in it and a free from the same player left the minimum in it as Creggan, aided by the breeze, drove on.

However, Cargin found a response with three converted frees from Tomás McCann to leave four in it with eight to play.

Creggan continued to push and two frees from Dougan left two between the teams as the game ticked towards 60 minutes and he then kicked another to leave the minimum init with time almost up.

Kickham's continued to push on looking for the equaliser and they got their chance deep in injury-time when they were awarded a free. Up stepped Tommy McCann and he split the posts to seal a 1-12 to 2-9 draw and a second day out for both teams after an enthralling game.

Ciaran Close 1-5, Tomás McCann 0-3, Michael Clarke 1-0, Michael McCann 0-1
CREGGAN: Mark Dougan 1-8, Conor Small 0-2, Tommy McCann 0-2

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football