Manchester City's title hopes hit by defeat at Newcastle

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez waves to the home crowd after victory over Manchester City
PA sport staff

NEWCASTLE fought back from going behind inside the opening minute as Manchester City's Premier League title ambitions suffered a setback with a 2-1 defeat at St James' Park.

City could have closed up to within a point of leaders Liverpool and got off to a flying start when Sergio Aguero scored after just 24 seconds.

Aguero saw another goal on 18 minutes ruled off after Kevin De Bruyne was ruled to have taken a free-kick too quickly.

Newcastle, scrapping for points at the other end of the table, were level in the 66th minute through Salomon Rondon.

With 10 minutes left, Sean Longstaff was hauled down by Fernandinho, and Matt Ritchie kept his cool to slot the resulting penalty just past Ederson after the City goalkeeper had received lengthy treatment.

Newcastle climb to 15th, five points clear of the relegation zone.

City remain four points behind Liverpool, who could extend their lead when they host Leicester on Wednesday.

Manchester United scored a stoppage-time equaliser to draw 2-2 at home against Burnley as new boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer missed out on a ninth win in a row in all competitions.

Burnley, beaten 5-0 by City in their FA Cup tie on Saturday, took an unexpected lead on 51 minutes through Ashley Barnes and looked set for a memorable win when Chris Wood headed in a second with just nine minutes left.

However, Paul Pogba set up a grandstand finish when he converted a penalty on 87 minutes, and defender Victor Lindelof kept Solskjaer's unbeaten run intact when he knocked in a rebound after Alexis Sanchez's header was saved.

Cardiff were beaten 2-1 at Arsenal in a first match since the disappearance of the aeroplane carrying striker Emiliano Sala.

Sala's was included in Cardiff's squad listed in the matchday programme, with an image of a daffodil where his squad number would be, while floral tributes were also laid on the Emirates Stadium pitch by both captains.

Arsenal broke the deadlock on 66 minutes through a penalty from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, with Alexandre Lacazette adding a late fine individual second.

In stoppage time, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing curled in a consolation goal for the Bluebirds.

The Gunners moved up level on points withe fourth-placed Chelsea, who are away at Bournemouth on Wednesday.

Relegation-battlers Fulham produced a remarkable second-half comeback from 2-0 down beat Brighton 4-2 at Craven Cottage.

Glenn Murray's early double seemed to have Brighton in control after 17 minutes.

Fulham hit back two minutes into the second half through a spectacular half-volley from defender Calum Chambers, before Aleksandar Mitrovic headed in an equaliser on 58 minutes.

The Serbian put Fulham in front for the first time on 74 minutes, and substitute Luciano Vietto completed a remarkable turnaround with 11 minutes left to end a run of three straight league defeats.

New Huddersfield manager Jan Siewert saw his side beaten 1-0 at home by Everton, who finished with 10 men.

Richarlison put the Toffees in front from close range after just three minutes.

Everton substitute Lucas Digne, who had not long been sent on, was shown a straight red card on 66 minutes for a professional foul on Adama Diakhaby.

The 10 men, though, held out for a much-needed victory as England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford made a fine save from Elias Kachunga's header.

Wolves beat West Ham 3-0 at Molineux with a brace from Raul Jimenez.

Defender Romain Saiss broke the deadlock on 66 minutes when he headed in from a corner.

Jimenez knocked home from a Joao Moutinho free-kick with 10 minutes left and then added a late third following a swift counter as Wolves climbed to seventh.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: