Chelsea buy Christian Pulisic for £58m from Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Christian Pulisic has joined Chelsea but will be loaned back to the German club for the remainder of the season, the Bundesliga club have announced.
Chelsea will pay £58million for the United States international, who has scored three goals in all competitions so far this term.
Pulisic's contract with Dortmund was due to expire in 18 months.
"It was always Christian's dream to play in the Premier League," Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc told the club's official website.
"That certainly has to do with his American background and as a result we were unable to extend his contract. Because of this, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract security."
Pulisic, 20, joined Dortmund as a youth player in 2015 and has made more than 100 appearances for the club.
- Pulisic has made 115 appearances for Dortmund in all competitions since making his debut in 2016.
- He has 15 goals and 24 assists to his name in that time.
- This season, he has started only five Bundesliga games with another six appearances from the bench. He has contributed a goal and two assists, as well as scoring in the Champions League win over Club Brugge and the extra-time win over Union Berlin in the DFB-Pokal.
- Pulisic has 23 USA caps since his debut in March 2016.
- He has scored nine goals for the national team, including seven in their unsuccessful qualification campaign for the 2018 World Cup. He also has six assists.
- Pulisic captained his country for the first time against Italy in November 2018, two months after turning 20.
- He scored 20 goals in 34 appearances for the USA Under-17 team, having also represented them at under-15 level. Before his competitive senior debut, he was also eligible for Croatia through his grandfather.
Records and achievements
- Pulisic is the United States' youngest ever goalscorer after netting aged 17 years and 253 days against Bolivia in May 2016.
- He was named US Soccer's male athlete of the year in 2017, having been young male athlete of the year in 2016.
- He became Dortmund's youngest Champions League player, and the youngest American to feature in the competition, when he played against Legia Warsaw in September 2016 - aged 17 years and 361 days. He was also the youngest American to play in a UEFA competition when he featured against Porto in the Europa League in February of the same year, aged 17 years and 153 days.
- He is the fourth-youngest goalscorer in Bundesliga history, netting his first goal against Hamburg in April 2016 aged 17 years and 212 days. Nuri Sahin holds the record, scoring for Dortmund against Nurnberg in November 2005 at 17 years and 82 days.
The fee is the eighth-highest ever paid by an English club; here is the top 10:
1 Paul Pogba, Juventus to Manchester United, 2016, £89m
2= Romelu Lukaku, Everton to Manchester United, 2017, £75m
2= Virgil Van Dijk, Southampton to Liverpool, 2018, £75m
4 Kepa Arrizabalaga, Athletic Bilbao to Chelsea, 2018, £72.1m
5 Riyad Mahrez, Leicester to Manchester City, 2018, £60m
6 Angel Di Maria, Real Madrid to Manchester United, 2014, £59.7m
7 Alvaro Morata, Real Madrid to Chelsea, 2017, £58m
8 Christian Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund to Chelsea, 2019, £57.7m
9 Aymeric Laporte, Athletic Bilbao to Manchester City, 2018, £57m
10 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Borussia Dortmund to Arsenal, 2018, £56m
(Includes reported or estimated fees).