Substitute Nathan Boyle secures win for Derry City

Derry City’s Dean Jarvis with John Sullivan of Galway United during last night’s Airtricity League Premier Division match at Brandywell, which finished 2-1 to the home side
Seamus Crudden at Brandywell

SSE Airtricity League Premier Division: Derry City 2 Galway United 1

STRIKER Nathan Boyle came off the bench to secure Derry City a hard-fought win over Galway United at Brandywell last night.

The youngster netted his first and second goal for the Candystripes, who had to come from behind to claim the points.

Derry’s fitness levels in the end meant they were made it three victories in-a-row for the first time in 18 months.

 For the third game in-a-row, Derry boss Kenny Shiels stuck with the same side which had seen off Cork City and Bray Wanderers.

 As for Galway, they made one change to their side which drew with Sligo Rovers on Monday night, ex-City striker Enda Curran coming into their starting line-up, with Ruairi Keating dropping to the bench.

The impressive Gary Shanahan had the first shot on target on 18 minutes when after running at Dean Jarvis, he got half-a-yard before seeing his 20-yard effort easily gathered by Gerard Doherty.

Shanahan was in the thick of the action again on 24 minutes when he set-up Kevin Devaney for the opening goal.

The right winger latched onto Colm Horgan’s throw-in and his cross from bye-line picked up the ex-Sligo Rovers man, who fired home from close range.

Galway’s Conor Winn was called into action for the first time on 37 minutes when he did well to tip over Gareth McGlynn’s teasing long range free-kick.

 Soon after Barry McNamee nearly caught out Stephen Folan when the big centre-back tried to let the ball run out play inside the box, but the City midfielder’s shot hit the fortunate Winn.

Derry had half a chance on 54 minutes when McNamee’s right wing corner found an unmarked Ryan McBride, but the City skipper’s header failed to trouble Winn.

Just after the hour mark Niclas Vemmelund came to City’s rescue as his last ditch tackle denied Curran a tap-in, after Doherty had initially tipped away Shanahan’s snap-shot.

Derry levelled things on 75 minutes when McBride’s attempted shot fell kindly to substitute Nathan Boyle, who showed super composure before slotting the ball through a forest of bodies to find Winn’s bottom right hand corner.

Six minutes from time Winn made an outstanding save when at full stretch he finger tipped Josh Daniels’ stinging 20 yard drive just over the bar.

In stoppage time Rory Patterson’s long ball over the top released Boyle and after controlling the ball his low drive hit the inside of the post before nestling in the net.

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny may have signed a new two-year extension yesterday, but his mood would have been dampened by their home defeat to Cork City. Sean Maguire was the hero for the away side as he scored from the penalty spot in the 69th minute.

Bohemians and Wexford Youths played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at Dalymount Park. Wexford Youths took the lead after just seven minutes when Danny Furlong scored, but Mark Quigley struck back five minutes later.

The visitors regained the lead in the 19th minute through Chris Kenny before Paddy Kavanagh’s goal just before the break made it 2-2.

Wexford Youths took the lead for a third time with 11 minutes remaining through Gary Delaney but there was still time for Quigley to equalise from the penalty spot.

The other game last night saw St Pat’s Athletic win 2-0 away to Shamrock Rovers, with Billy Dennehy and Christy Fagan getting the goals.


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: