Hibernian prove a point to reach League Cup decider

Hibernian players celebrate after securing their place in the Scottish League Cup final on Saturday
Gavin McCafferty

Scottish League Cup semi-final: Hibernian 2 St Johnstone 1

HIBERNIAN midfielder Fraser Fyvie feels they proved a point by reaching the League Cup final – and their achievement can propel their promotion push.

Hibs beat a third Ladbrokes Premiership team to make the Hampden clash on March 13 as a Jason Cummings penalty and John McGinn’s long-range strike earned them a 2-1 win over St Johnstone at Tynecastle.

The Championship title challengers have now won 19 of their last 23 games - including League Cup wins over Aberdeen and Dundee United – and are competing on three fronts with another trip to Gorgie to come next Sunday when they face Hearts in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Fyvie told Hibs TV: “We sent out a statement that we want to do well in every competition. The league is the most important, but we’ve got ourselves in a cup final now.

“I think the league is our main priority, we want to get back into the Scottish Premiership and we’ve shown we can compete with the top-flight teams.”

Hibs fell eight points behind Championship leaders Rangers after Billy King headed a late winner against Falkirk at Ibrox.

But they have the chance to cut the gap with their game in hand this week and head coach Alan Stubbs feels their cup exploits can only help their bid to return to the top flight.

“I think it’s good,” he said. “I wouldn’t want it any other way.

“For me, we have got a more important game on Tuesday against Morton. We want to keep that momentum going and the more we can keep winning games, it’s only going to build the confidence of the players, if it does need building.”

Saints complained bitterly about referee Steven McLean’s 29th minute penalty award that put Hibs on their way, with Chris Millar adamant he did not touch Liam Henderson before the midfielder went down in the box.

But they levelled four minutes later through Joe Shaughnessy’s header and manager Tommy Wright admitted Hibs ultimately deserved their win following McGinn’s strike in the 74th minute.

“The first half we probably gave them too much of the ball,” Wright said.

“They didn’t create too many clear-cut opportunities, it was probably the same for us, but we did well to get back in the game.

“The second half was pretty even at times but they created a lot of chances when we went 2-1 down. We still had a couple of chances to take it to extra time but that didn’t materialise.”


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: