Risk versus reward makes Carl Frampton versus Donaire a long shot
RISK versus reward. That's what boxing is all about at the highest level and when you weigh up the two sides of the scales perhaps it's not that surprising to see doubt being cast over Carl Frampton's proposed non-title meeting with former four-weight world champion Nonito Donaire.
Queensbury Promotions boss Frank Warren stated last year that the fight had been made for Belfast in April but Frampton has since confirmed that nothing has been signed between him and ‘The Fillipino Flash' for April 21.
“Despite reports from various media outlets, no fighter has signed to fight me,” said Frampton.
“Four-weight world champion Nonito Donaire has been mentioned as the guy who could be in the opposite corner and that would be a great fight, a really huge night for Belfast boxing if that's who it turns out to be.”
Frampton explained that there were “other options out there for me for April 21st.”
He added: “I'm really looking forward to getting back into the ring for another big fight and for it to be in Belfast is always special.”
After beating unheralded, but dangerous, Horacio Garcia in November, Frampton's main focus next year has to be his Windsor Park world title spectacular against possibly Lee Selby or Josh Warrington with Leo Santa Cruz and Scott Quigg (if he beats WBO champ Jessie Magdaleno in Carson City on March 10) also potentially in the mix.
With that in mind, facing a noted puncher like Nonaire – with no title up for grabs – is a risky proposition in only his second fight in 15 months.
Frampton may decide to look for an opponent who will test him in a ‘tune-up' fight but lacks the experience and calibre of Nonaire as he builds towards Windsor in late July/early August. It's all about risk versus reward.
ANTHONY Cacace's next fight should be for the British super-featherweight says his manager Pat Magee.
Reacting to news that reigning champion Martin J Ward had vacated the belt, Magee said he “was confident” that the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) would confirm that Cacace would fight Sam Bowen for the vacant title tomorrow. The fight could take place in March.
“The Board will decide who will fight for the vacant title on Wednesday and one of the contestants will surely be Sam Bowen, the mandatory challenger, and I'm hoping that the opponent for him will be Cacace,” Magee explained.
“I'm confident that it will be Cacace and if it is the fight should take place in March. Cacace ran Ward very close when they fought, he's had a win since and looking at the other contenders I don't think anyone of them have the record that Cacace has.
“It would be a bad decision by the Board not to make Cacace the other mandatory.”
Cacace lost his British title shot to Ward on a narrow points decision in June last year but returned to action with a win in England in late December. That victory paved the way for his British title challenge because BBofC rules stipulate that fighters cannot fight for the belt after a loss.
“I think Cacace would be confident of beating anyone at British level including Ward,” said Magee.
“He didn't do what he was supposed to do against Ward and if he got the chance to do it again he would do it differently. Ward has moved on now as European champion.
“The decision will be made on Wednesday and I would hope that the fight could be arranged for March. If the Board decided to pick somebody else they would then have to go out to purse bids and give a period of time and the title fight wouldn't take place before the end of April.
“But we have a situation where Bowen's people know that Cacace is ready. We're ready to go, Bowen is ready to go and we know we could do it in March.”
The next major bill in Belfast is Carl Frampton's return to action at the SSE Arena on April 21. The likelihood is that former Cyclone Promotions star Cacace will travel to England to fight Bowen in March, if the fight is confirmed.
“The essential thing is that we get board approval on Wednesday and, immediately we get that, we'll start putting together where and when it's going to be,” said Magee.
JAMES Tennyson begins a year that could deliver a shot at the WBA World Super-Featherweight title at the Europa Hotel, Belfast on Saturday, February 3.
‘The Assassin' is still only 24 and holds the WBA International Super Featherweight Title which he successfully defended at the SSE Arena in October on the undercard of Ryan Burnett versus Zhanat Zhakiyanov, a defence that saw him rise to a number four world ranking with the WBA.
Tennyson's impressive record of 20-2 with 16 stoppage wins makes him one of the most exciting boxers to watch in the UK and Ireland and with the stakes high, the Belfast starlet knows there is no room for error as he looks to push on.
As yet the opponent for Tennyson is yet to be confirmed but with the exciting undercard line-up starting to take shape the latest MHD Promotions in association with A McLean's Bookmakers show is heading towards another sell-out with tickets proving very popular again.
“I am really excited about this show,” said promoter Mark Dunlop.
“James has put everything on hold as he chases his dream and I can ask for no more, he has had a fantastic 2017 and he is determined for more. His opponent should be secured and released very shortly.”
Coalisland banger ‘Fearless' Fergal McCrory and his team have a great relationship with MHD Promotions and they continue to help develop the county Tyrone fighters career and have handed him chief support.
McCrory, now 7-0, takes on the very strong Rafael Castillo from Nicaragua who is one of the few men to have heard the final bell when sharing the ring with Tennyson.
Castillo was also outpointed in a cracking fight with Ronnie Clark of Dundee who also returns to the Europa as he chases a return fight with now European Champion Martin J Ward. Clark faces England's tough Dean Evans over six rounds.
Two other exciting undefeated prospects put it all on the line when Portsmouth's Lucas Ballingall (8-0) takes on the game Karl Kelly (1-0) over six rounds at super-featherweight.
Newtownards native Stevie Quinn Jnr (8-2) makes his return from exile is a strong contest against another tough Nicaraguan in Edwin Tellez who has mixed it with Europe's best contenders at Super-bantamweight/featherweight.
The long awaited return of Daniel ‘Insane' McShane (9-1) completes the fantastic card following the withdrawal of Joe Fitzpatrick through injury.
Tickets: VIP Ringside £75, reserved ringside (£45), un-reserved (£35). Tel. 07712 473905, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the boxers.
PADRAIG McCrory gets his third professional outing at ‘Danger at the Devenish III' on February 10.
Belfast super-middleweight McCrory was among the local prospects who featured on December's Ginley Promotions bill and moved to 2-0 with a ruthless second-round stoppage win over Nicaraguan Michael Mora at the Devenish Complex.
Former Ulster Elite amateur champion McCrory, AKA ‘the Hammer', explained: “It's great to get out again because I had a few dates cancelled last year and it's good to be kept busy.
“This will be my second date in the space of just over two months, so that's great because I want to stay active.”
The 29-year-old added: “I took a good 10 days off around Christmas before I started my full camp about a week ago, but I'm still fit from my last fight, so I'm nearly ready to go and I can't wait to fight again.”
McCrory is the first of a number of talented Irish fighters to be confirmed for the ‘Danger at the Devenish 3' bill, with further fights set to be announced soon.
Tickets for the February 10 show are priced at £35 (general) and £65 (ringside) and are available from Ginley Promotions (07803799537).