Boxing

Cyclone break silence with statement suggesting they could work with Carl Frampton again

Carl Frampton and Barry McGuigan at the press conference prior to last month's scheduled showdown with Andres Gutierrez. Picture by Hugh Russell
Neil Loughran

CYCLONE Promotions have broken their silence amid growing speculation their partnership with Carl Frampton could be coming to an end – stating their intention to continue working with ‘The Jackal’.

The relationship between the former two-weight world champion and the promotional company, fronted by manager Barry McGuigan, is understood to have broken down in recent months.

Speculation has spiralled out of control since Frampton’s fight with Andres Gutierrez, scheduled for July 29 at a sold-out SSE Arena in Belfast, was cancelled the night before.

The Mexican suffered a series of facial injuries after slipping in the shower of his hotel room.

That came just hours after Frampton had failed to make the weight, coming in a pound over the 126lb featherweight limit, leading to claims of unrest in the camp.

It later emerged that the 30-year-old had resigned as a director of Cyclone Promotions on July 21 – eight days before his homecoming fight.

Cyclone have remained tight-lipped ever since, but yesterday issued a statement confirming, unsurprisingly, that attempts to find a rescheduled November date for the Gutierrez fight hadn’t come to fruition.

Some may see this latest development as another sign that the end of the eight-year relationship is nearing, but the last line of the statement suggests otherwise.

It reads: “We are currently working to arrange a date for a new fight and we are confident that Carl Frampton will become world champion again.”

Few would doubt that Frampton is capable of getting back to boxing’s top table, however whether that is with Cyclone Promotions remains to be seen.

He has been linked with a possible return to Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom promotions, having left the stable in 2013. And, speaking to IFL TV earlier this month, Hearn admitted he would love to have Frampton back.

“I can’t imagine it’s a great place, whatever is going on there, and it’s got nothing to do with me, it’s none of my business,” said Hearn.

“There’s been no conversations for Carl Frampton to rejoin Matchroom – would I be interested? Absolutely.

“Will we have conversations? I don’t know really, I don’t know how he feels about that.”

Fight fans will hope that any potential fall-out doesn’t stand in the way of ‘The Jackal’ fighting again in 2017, the January rematch defeat to Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas his last appearance between the ropes.

Frampton has long been linked with a fight against reigning IBF champion Lee Selby, and a showdown against the Welshman has been mooted for later this year.

In his Sunday Life column the day after the Gutierrez fight had been due to take place, Frampton admitted he had struggled to find the motivation to face the little-known Mexican.

And, having featured in three consecutive world title fights inside the space of 12 months between February 2016 and January 2017, stated his intention to continue operating in elite company in what are potentially the most lucrative years of his career.

“I want big fights from now on,” he said.

“I want a world title fight next and I have to make sure that I am mentally, totally focused on the job because when I am then I have no issues with weight.

“I’m now going to chill out for a bit and get my mind refreshed and then I want to go again before Christmas and get back on the top of the featherweight division.”

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: